Sigma DC 55-200mm F/4-5.6

Mark73

Mu-43 Regular
Hello,

Does anyone know of any pitfalls of mounting the above lens, in Four Thirds guise to my EM10 ii via an AF adapter?

Is it CDAF compatible, much like the Olympus 70-300mm I'm told to believe is? Or PDAF bodies only for reasonable focussing speeds?

Thanks,

Mark

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hello,

Does anyone know of any pitfalls of mounting the above lens, in Four Thirds guise to my EM10 ii via an AF adapter?

Is it CDAF compatible, much like the Olympus 70-300mm I'm told to believe is? Or PDAF bodies only for reasonable focussing speeds?

Thanks,

Mark
I had the Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 lens back in the day. It was the 2nd or 3rd lens I bought for my E-1 (14-54mm mark I being first, and Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 being the other lens that I bought). I bought both Sigma lenses in 2005 and sold them in 2007.

I hated both lenses. Part of the issue was I was shooting them with the Olympus E-1 at the time and the E-1 does not have image stablization. Just before selling them, I did try shooting them with the shutter speed fixed to 1/400 or faster on the E-1, and I did do a few shots with them on the E-510 which had stabilization. In both cases, the pictures came out better, but i still preferred the Olympus long lenses that I had bought by then (Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5, and the original 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 for lighter weight use). I recall that in general the images taken with both Sigma lenses had a slight yellow tint to them, compared to the Olympus lenses.

Since these lenses came out in 2004 or 2005, and removed from the Sigma catalog a few years later, they would not have any support for CD-AF. The Olympus page listing the firmware updates for the various classic 4/3rds lenses does not list any updates for those lenses.

In addition, note the classic 4/3rds to micro 4/3rds adapters (Olympus MMF-2/MMF-3 and Panasonic DMW-MA1) are no longer on the Olympus and Panasonic catalogs. You might or might not be able to get one of the 3rd party adapters that were available a few years ago. Looking at ebay, it looks like the cheapest MMF-2 is around $100 US, the cheapest MA1 is about $130 US the cheapest MMF-3 is around $200 US. So be sure to factor in the cost of the adapter when looking at the Sigma 55-200mm lens.

Phocal

God
It will focus poorly/slow on a CDAF only body. Even if it’s CDAF optimized it will still focus poorly/slow. I have the Olympus 14-54 mk2 which is CDAF optimized and it is only worth using for static scenes on my EM5. Very slow focusing but on my EM1 or EM1X it works very well.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Also IIRC, that unlike the Olympus lenses that are reasonable when shot wide open, the Sigma lenses of that era tended to be sharper if you stop them down by at least 1 f/stop (i.e. shoot with them at f/5.6 wide open and f/8 at telephoto). Note, on 16MP and 20MP bodies, diffraction starts being noticeable when you get to f/8 and smaller.

Mark73

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for all the advice, people. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

I'll guess I'll skip that idea, then.

Latest threads

Top Bottom