Sigma ART lens startup time question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by imnovosel, Jul 4, 2014.

1. imnovosel

imnovosel New to Mu-43

Jul 4, 2014
    Just a quick question from a long time lurker, first time poster: can anyone who has owned both versions ("ex dn" and "ART") of any of the Sigma 19, 30, or 60mm lenses confirm for me if startup time has improved on the newer versions? I've searched this site and the web extensively and can't come up with a definitive answer.

My reason for asking is that I have the Sigma 19mm ex dn, and I'd like to replace it with the new version if it boots up faster. My epm2 takes about 3.5 seconds (timed) to start with this lens on, and I feel it causes me to miss quite a few spontaneous shots of friends and family. I love the look of the shots I get with this lens though, and I love the handling and focus speed, but I can't afford to spend more on a lens I know is faster, such as the Oly 17mm 1.8.

Thanks!

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I think it's the camera body you mount it on that makes the difference.

3. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I agree, I have both the earlier 19mm and 30mm, I use them both on my Pany G3 and my Oly EPL2 and I have no issues at all at start up. If you are having issues turn your camera on earlier . . . not being flippant just practical.

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Just got the 30mm Art... Takes about a second and a half on my GX1. Maybe clean your lens connectors?
    GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

5. imnovosel

imnovosel New to Mu-43

Jul 4, 2014
    Thanks for the responses. Interesting, maybe it is dependent on specific copies of the body or lens one is using. I've tried cleaning the lens and body contacts, checked firmware, all the usual suspects, but haven't managed to get the thing to turn on faster.

As far as turning the cam on earlier, usually I'm juggling parental duties while photographing, so if I want to take a shot its a grab and go kind of situation. Since I mainly take candid shots of my kids and friends, if I have to wait three+ seconds after I grab my camera to take a shot the moment I was after is gone.

With my ancient Oly 17mm 2.8 on I can pick up the camera and fire two decently composed and focused shots in the time it would take the sigma to boot up. The problem is that the sigma is the lens I want to be using, it has the mix of sharpness, contrast and character that makes my people shots look good to me.

6. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    on my e-pl5

sigma 19 ex dn = 3.52
    sigma 30 art = 2.32

so, yes, it has imrpoved, but I wouldn't bother selling "ex dn" for "art", and would live in peace with both

7. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    I think the delay is because Sigma use a linear motor, apparently a feature of maglev trains, so now I don't mind it so much because, hey, it's like there's a little bullet train zooming back and forth in there. YMMV.

8. imnovosel

imnovosel New to Mu-43

Jul 4, 2014
    Thanks Tino! Exactly what I was looking for. I guess I'll keep the ex dn, it's still a wonderful lens in spite of the startup thing. As far as $200 dollar lenses go it has fewer tradeoffs than most, if not all.

I'll still enjoy using my little "bullet train in a can":)

9. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I have both the 30mm and 60mm (both DN-Art) lens, and I haven't really noticed a start up time any more significantly delayed than just using my olympus 17/2.8 or adapted lens (With no electronic contacts). In fact the only thing that slows down my Oly E-P3 is using an Eye-Fi (X2 Pro) card instead of one of my Sandisk Extreme UHS-1.

Course I've never owned the older non DN/Art version of either lens so I couldn't compare per se.

But yea that loose element inside is kind of unsettling yet normal (ie: I think when it does start up, it has to fix the free-moving internal element to the proper infinity focus first).

10. imnovosel

imnovosel New to Mu-43

Jul 4, 2014
    The variation in startup times must be body dependent then. Strange.