1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma Art 85 1.4 instead of Nocticron?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by JDK504, Oct 13, 2016.

1. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I recently just picked up the Sigma 18-35 1.8 with Canon speed booster to replace my
    PL 15 and PL25. I am really in love with this combo. I got tired of changing out lenses. Obviously there are pros & cons with each setup.

Now I'm thinking of trading in my Nocticron for the upcoming Sigma Art 85 1.4. I have always felt the Nocticron was too close to the other focal lengths and when using the Nocticron I always wanted a bit more reach (kids sporting events, not just portraits). The Sigma 85 + Canon speed booster would make it about 120mm f1.0. I thought about the other Sigma zoom 50-100 1.8, but I think that would be just too big!

Am I crazy? Anyone do anything like this?

Any feedback would be welcome.

2. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    No. You would have a 60mm f/1.0 which "equals" to 120mm f/2.0 FF.

3. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Sorry. I just wanted to save you a disappointment should you have expected the isolation of a 120mm f/1.0. I will never waste your time again.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That sounds awesome. Go for it man.
    In case you're wondering what it will look like, here's my Minolta MD Rokkor 85mm f1.7 with Metabones Speed Booster, making it 60mm f1.2:
    29175458343_e612048822_b.
    Paige
    by Vincent Tsai, on Flickr

I would never trade in my Nocticron though, it works really well for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nobody is going to want to offer advice to you if you are going to act like you already know it all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    why to just get the much smaller/lighter/cheaper Olympus 75? If you need the DoF that a 60mm f/1.0 will give you on m43, then you may have the wrong system...

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Back on topic: While I really love (though not unconditionally) the 18-35mm Art for APS-C, I find it big even in that context - and I have trouble imagining it on :mu43: (I'm not even inclined to try ...), though if I recall right, you get AF with the Canon SpeedBooster, so that's a big plus. Still, the whole system (lens/adapter) will be huge - something that feels odd to me when considering :mu43:. The same will be true for the 85mm Art, though even more so - I tried this lens at Photokina, and it's huge and heavy, considerably bigger than the already hefty 50mm Art I own, which means it's also clearly heavier than the 18-35mm, though about as long (I haven't looked up the measurements yet - this is from direct comparison). While I get your excitement about FoV and light gathering, I myself can't see myself lug around anything of that heft *on a :mu43: body* for that FoV. But of course, if that's no problem, you get exactly what you're aiming for.

I'm guessing you try to get the thin DoF and light gathering capability in the first place, along with great optics. From that point of view, you'll be served - the Sigma Art line for FF was one of the reasons for me to expand my kit and add FF. That said, I'll stick with my tiny Sigma 60mm Art for that FoV for :mu43: - because it's a great *little* lens and as such a brilliant example of what :mu43: should be in my view. Yes, it has its limits - but they're relative; in practise, I find them irrelevant.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    I was a going to say the same...seems to tick all the OP's boxes. I still have my 75mm and love it, I also had the Nocticron and (regrettably) moved it on - both lenses deliver outstanding results!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, the 85 ART costs $1200, is 126mm long, and although the weight hasn't been announced yet, the previous version of Sigma's 85mm f/1.4 weighed 725 grams. The Speedbooster is a sunk cost at this point, so that doesn't really matter, however it does add an additional 172g of weight, plus 24mm of length of length to the package. So all told, you're going to have a 900g lens that's 150mm long, acting like a 60mm f/1.0 on a m43 camera.

Compare that to an Olympus 75 that is 1/3 the weight at 305g, less than 1/2 the length at 69mm, and because it's been on the market for so long, used copies are plentiful and can be scooped up for between $500-600.

It's really a no-brainer IMO, but maybe the OP has different intentions...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Thank you everyone for your input. The Olympus 75 has crossed my mind several times, but I shoot alot of my stuff indoors with low light and in tight spots. The 75 would be too long whereas the Sigma 85 1.4 would
    be just a little bit longer than my Nocticron. I failed to mention that I'm also a big video guy as well as s stills shooter. I do love having that thin DOF but FF options aren't comparable to M43 (video). I know there will always be cheaper alternatives to everything, but if we all did that we would all have KIA's in our driveways (what I drive).

I just wanted to bounce some ideas around with those that have made a change like this.

I really enjoy the lenses that I have and think they are fantastic! The 15 PL, 25 PL, 42.5 PL, but I think I'm just heading into a different direction and wanted to make a change.
    To me the Sigmas offer something different. Very reminiscent of the Noktons, but with AF - I love that character they provide.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sony A7S?

12. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    The Sonys came to mind but I like to look of the GH line. I am looking to upgrade to either GH5, 4 or the new G85. I think I would really miss the IBIS. The A7RII is too expensive.

13. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013

Thank you for the shot. You wouldnt happen to have a comparison between the 42.5 and this lens to see the difference in FOV?

• Winner Winner x 1