1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma A 60 mm f/2.8 DN tested on optyczne.pl

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pajo, Jul 31, 2013.

1. pajo

pajo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    definitely an amazing lens, I also quoted dxomark's test results in the image thread
    [​IMG]

I can't believe not everybody's buying this lens since it's so cheap!

3. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    uber resolution across the frame; more

In sheer resolution, it appears to give the Olympus 60.2.8 (corrected from 60/1.8) macro some serious competition. From the Google translation:

On resolution in the center of the frame:

As with the last few tests Sigma lenses, the lips is only one word revelation.
    Lens optimum performance is achieved already at the maximum aperture where MTFs reach the genius level of 82.2 lpmm. It is worth noting that it is almost the same as the record results achieved by the Voigtlander 0.95/25, yet Sigma had a much more difficult task, because the lens of more than 3 EV darker! On stopping down to f/4.0 Sigma value logs as a great result almost 81 lpmm. For the aperture is the result, the margin of error, the same as in our highly acclaimed Olympus 2.8/60.​

On resolution in the corners of the frame:

The situation on the edge of the frame also deserves praise. Even at maximum aperture we have an image of good quality, because MTFs go back there for over 62 lpmm. Apertures causes output to reach a high level of 70 lpmm. It is worth mentioning that the results are significantly better than the Olympus 2.8/60, which is on the edge of the frame never exceed the 60 lpmm.​

Chromatic and spherical aberrations are essentially invisible. I'm guessing that this is because one element is aspherical glass and one is low-dispersion SLD glass.

The only measure where the Olympus 60/2.8 macro surpasses the Sigma is distortion: 0.01% vs. 0.44 (RAW) and 0.42 (JPG). Also, when wide open the Sigma suffers from -0.79 EV of vignetting.

The lens requires 200 degrees of rotation to focus manually from near to far.

Autofocusing is silent.

4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I've been waiting for my locals to stock it, but no luck as yet.

5. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    That's a rather amazing test result. Its basically on par with the 75mm 1.8 (other than 1.8 to 2.8 of course). Its not just a great value it is a great lens!

6. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Very impressive!

7. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Not sure why this lens hasn't had more "official" reviews.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Wow, that looks very good! Perfect telephoto for a 3 prime landscape kit.

9. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Now if they would only make a MACRO lens.

10. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    On that note, I just noticed that the MFD for this lens is 19" - which is by no means as close-focusing as a 'true' macro lens, but is a far sight better than my O.75's 33" - hehe...

11. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    close focus

One things I've always admired about Sigma and classic Vivitar: They recognized that close focus is not an either-or need. Many people who don't need 1:1 or 1:2 magnification, which would require a tripod, would nonetheless benefit from 1:3 or 1:4 shot handheld.

12. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    I'm not a fan of the bokeh shown in the Photozone review. A definite bright ring on the edge. It's no Trioplan, but it's there. Could make certain backgrounds a bit busy.

But the resolution figures people are getting with this thing are astoundingly good!

13. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I got my Sigma 60 a few days ago. With the little chance I've had to use it I've been very impressed. I only paid $160 new, but would happily pay more.

- Focus is quick and silent.
    - Built quality seems good. Not overly keen on the shiny barrel, but its ok.
    - Included lens hood and pouch are a nice touch. But the hood is very loose fitting, and the pouch is ridiculously big
    - PQ is very nice. Sorry, I don't really have the ability or inclination to be more descriptive.

14. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Is that US$160? If so, where did you get it for that price?

15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'd also love to know where it's selling for that price - I haven't seen it for below $219 anywhere.

16. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The 30 and 19 were $120 CAD for a while.

17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Yes, but you can typically find mint used versions of those 2 lenses for around $100 US. Two sellers have listed them today for that sort of price. I've never seen a used Sigma 60mm show up - must be so good nobody is selling theirs.

18. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011