Sigma 8-16mm UWA in Lower Manhattan

FlyPenFly

Mu-43 Veteran
Well, now I'm not quite so sure I did the right thing dropping $700 on a lens I don't seem to be able to get really compelling shots out of... first day though, need to give it some more practice.

This was on a D7000 though, left the EPL2 at home but I did order an adapter. The lens dwarfs the body.

Full set: Battery Park - a set on Flickr

View attachment 159136
DSC_0316.jpg by jaedesigns, on Flickr

View attachment 159137
DSC_0261.jpg by jaedesigns, on Flickr

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0286.jpg by jaedesigns, on Flickr

View attachment 159138
DSC_0292.jpg by jaedesigns, on Flickr

View attachment 159139
DSC_0285.jpg by jaedesigns, on Flickr

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
the equivalent of a 12mm lens takes some getting used to. keep going. of course while you may not feel it yet the images posted are wonderful.

Gordon

FlyPenFly

Mu-43 Veteran
What didn't you like? The images are quite nice.
Maybe it's just because I'm not used to it yet but out of the camera when I first look at them, they don't grab me. I have to do a lot of post work on them for me to be happy.

On the other hand, this lens produces images that I feel are more compelling straight out of the camera. The Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 but I think I might just be a lot more experience in the 50-100mm focal range.

Rain - a set on Flickr

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
UWA, similar to long lenses, have a bit of a learning curve. The thing to remember about the UWA's to to watch your horizons and to try to keep the lens as parallel to the ground as possible. Slight tilts on an UWA just sends all the lines diverging or converging. Some times the tilts enhance the image ... other times the tilts distracts ... just make sure you look at the lines and they're doing what you want.

Gary

Conrad

Mu-43 Veteran
An uwa image tends to have more contrast in the subject, especially in outdoor scenes with sun. One part of the scene can be illuminated with the sun sideways, another part with the sun from your back or from the front. Also the sky will become more difficult. Even a faint high altitude haze will brighten the sky two stops near the sun when compared to parts of the sky under 90 degrees from the sun.
Due to the higher contrast, parts of the scene that are in the shadow, will become underexposed, leading to a potentially duller image. Is that what you want to correct in post?

MichaelShea

Mu-43 Regular
Tall buildings from ground level were probably over ambitious subjects to begin with. I agree that the best thing you can do is keep the camera position fairly level until you become more familiar with the properties of your new lens.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom