Sigma 8-16mm UWA in Lower Manhattan

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by FlyPenFly, Mar 8, 2011.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Well, now I'm not quite so sure I did the right thing dropping $700 on a lens I don't seem to be able to get really compelling shots out of... first day though, need to give it some more practice.

This was on a D7000 though, left the EPL2 at home but I did order an adapter. The lens dwarfs the body.

Full set: Battery Park - a set on Flickr

DSC_0316.jpg by jaedesigns, on Flickr

DSC_0261.jpg by jaedesigns, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0286.jpg by jaedesigns, on Flickr

DSC_0292.jpg by jaedesigns, on Flickr

DSC_0285.jpg by jaedesigns, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    the equivalent of a 12mm lens takes some getting used to. keep going. of course while you may not feel it yet the images posted are wonderful.

Gordon

3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    What didn't you like? The images are quite nice.

4. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Maybe it's just because I'm not used to it yet but out of the camera when I first look at them, they don't grab me. I have to do a lot of post work on them for me to be happy.

On the other hand, this lens produces images that I feel are more compelling straight out of the camera. The Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 but I think I might just be a lot more experience in the 50-100mm focal range.

Rain - a set on Flickr

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    UWA, similar to long lenses, have a bit of a learning curve. The thing to remember about the UWA's to to watch your horizons and to try to keep the lens as parallel to the ground as possible. Slight tilts on an UWA just sends all the lines diverging or converging. Some times the tilts enhance the image ... other times the tilts distracts ... just make sure you look at the lines and they're doing what you want.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I 'correct' some of my 7-14 images with the free prog ShiftN. You will need to choose English as the site is in German.

Agree UWAs take some taming. The periphery can often include distracting material.

7. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

An uwa image tends to have more contrast in the subject, especially in outdoor scenes with sun. One part of the scene can be illuminated with the sun sideways, another part with the sun from your back or from the front. Also the sky will become more difficult. Even a faint high altitude haze will brighten the sky two stops near the sun when compared to parts of the sky under 90 degrees from the sun.
    Due to the higher contrast, parts of the scene that are in the shadow, will become underexposed, leading to a potentially duller image. Is that what you want to correct in post?

• Like Like x 2
  8. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Tall buildings from ground level were probably over ambitious subjects to begin with. I agree that the best thing you can do is keep the camera position fairly level until you become more familiar with the properties of your new lens.