1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sigma 60mm Now Available for Pre-Order for $239 at B&H

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 2, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  2. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks like an interesting lens.. and a great deal.. I wonder how long it will take come down in price to match the 19mm and 30mm.. I have been very satisfied so far with both of those lenses...

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Agreed 100% :2thumbs:

4. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Yep I'm excited to see pictures from this lens. Wonder how it will compare to the Oly 75. I know it won't be as sharp as the 75 but it'll be interesting to see how close it comes.

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    If this is sharp wide open, it could make for a very very nice alternative to the 45. The 75 can't be compared to, that is in a class of its own =)

It wouldn't fit with my needs, but I feel this one makes more sense than the 19 and 30.

6. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Interesting, waiting to see some sample pics. Another to add to the collection.

7. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Stupid question maybe, but do these lenses do manual focusing? I'm not used to seeing smooth lenses.

8. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Yes, the Sigmas can focus manually. Some people have speculated that the focus ring will be harder to turn because it is smooth, but I expect the resistance will be light enough so that ridges on the ring won't be necessary.

9. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    These lenses make me want to experiment with NEX.

10. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't think the 60 as an alternative to the 45... If I end up getting the 60 i will have the Sigma trinity + the 45mm... My thought is the 45 would be my low light glass and at 90mm would be nice to have the look of an 85mm... the 60 would be my long range lens.. Plus you get the 15mm difference between the 30 - 45 - 60.... at $239 pretty cheap... i do think that they will eventually go down to $199 like the others..

Plus I am still waiting to see what the verdict is on the e-p5 and the new OM-D... i would possibly be in the market for a 4th and final body for my bag... each body needs a dedicated lens right? :drinks::2thumbs::biggrin:

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    For some silly reason I thought this was a macro lens, and was thrilled with the price. I guess it's not macro, though :(

12. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    If it was macro I'd be thrilled at the price too! :smile:

For budget macro the best bet is a legacy manual focus, you can find good 50mm macro lenses for around $100 or less.

But assuming the quality is the same as the 19mm and 30mm, this is still a great price for the lens. It would be good for portraits, or indoor events like parties.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    While this looks like a nice lens, I'd love for them to come out with an f2 or faster lens.

14. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah for cheap macro get a 50mm with a reverse macro adapter... and you can get some killer close ups... Or just get extension tubes... Since the 50 you will be manual focusing already with the 50 using extension tubes wont make the operation any different...

I know with the 19mm you can get pretty close...

15. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    I think this is a great addition to the m4/3 lineup. Are there any good focal length/bokeh comparisons between the Olympus 45mm and 60mm macro? If I want to pick up a fast-ish portrait lens, I wouldn't be sure which one to get!

16. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Unless you're really wanting to do macro I wouldn't go for the Oly 60mm. Its the same f/2.8, its more likely going to be sharper but for twice the price and knowing Sigma their lens is bound to have beautiful bokeh. And I agree with Djarum I wish they'd make a faster lens, but I'm sure if they did it wouldn't be nearly as cheap.

17. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Has anyone purchased a 60mm yet?