Sigma 60mm f2.8, the good the bad?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by amp, Sep 9, 2017.

1. amp

amp Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 29, 2017
    Anybody have this lens?
    Considering the reviews and price, it seems like one hell of a lens!
    What's been your experience? What do you use it for?
    How does it compare to the Oly 45/75? I have the Oly 45 and find it quite nice. Everyone raves about the 75, which I'd eventually love to pick up. For head and shoulder portraiture, what would be your choice?
    Any input would be appreciated.
    FYI, I shoot with the omd 10ii.
    Thanks

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Superb lens especially at the price
    Obtained some good shots when I had mine ( long gone now though)
    Highly recommended

3. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Sharper than the 45, a phenomenal lens for the money. The rendering is special, it has a 3D quality. It's an outdoor portrait lens, comparable to the film 135mm f3.5 lenses.

I tell this story all the time but despite a bunch of fancy gear, the pic that hangs over my fireplace was taken on a sigma 60mm, cropped square and edited on an iPad. It's printed 20"x20" and looks amazing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. amp

amp Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 29, 2017
    Thanks so much for responses. I've heard mostly only good things, so that just reinforces my assumptions. Thanks again.

5. BleedingGumsMurphy

BleedingGumsMurphy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    I love it. Really sharp. I prefer it to the 45mm. 75mm is quite a "hardcore" focal length and many say they can't take enough steps back when doing portraits. The 75 is certainly the best lens, but I am satisfied with the 60 as a happy medium between 45 and 75. Its not getting much use now that I have the Sigma 30 1.4, but I am keeping it as it is so optically excellent and great value for money.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    The sigma 60 is part of my three-prime carry-everywhere lineup, together with a Panasonic 20 and a Panasonic 11 (14 plus wide-angle adapter). The results (color, resolution, and depth) are remarkable and the ergonomics are acceptable. As far as I'm concerned, it has no downside. You can even get it in your choice of color: silver or black.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I'd recommend it: I have an O45/1.8 which I love, but hardly ever use now thanks to the Sigma 60/2.8 I also have. Only Sigma downsides are it's physically a bit bigger than the O45 (but still small and light really) and it's just over a stop slower if you do a lot of low light work. But really it's a brilliant lens. My three lens kit is now most often O12-40/2.8, PL25/1.4 and S60/2.8.

8. Lenny

Lenny Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2016
    Excellent lens for the price. Small, light and very sharp.

As for 'the bad', here's my bug bear: the metal finish is so smooth that it makes manual focusing a little tricky as you need to grip the lens tighter than normal to stop your fingers slipping. A particular annoyance when it comes to MF for video work! Other than that, nothing else to fault.

Note: the lens rattles loudly when detached from the camera, it's not a mechanical fault though, it goes silent when mounted.

9. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    There's nothing really bad to say about it, but I'm actually expecting the Panasonic 42.5/1.7 I bought to arrive today and it may replace the Sigma. The main thing is that I found I didn't use the Sigma too much because of the focal length: it was hard to use indoors and when I'm taking portraits, I found it frustrating to be so far from the subject (this is not a critique of the lens so much as a critique of my ability to communicate with people!). In other words, my reasons for changing have little to do with image quality.

I was also interested in the Panasonic due to the lens stabilization and the fact that it'd be slightly more useful in lower light. On the downside, if I sell the Sigma, I'll be selling my longest fast autofocus lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    I have the S60 and the P42.5 - and I agree. The S60 is lovely - I just have a problem with the focal length - just do not mesh with it. The P42.5 however I love. It is a fantastic lens. Nothing bad to say about the S60 - I just do not use it much.

11. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 19, 2015
    Phenomenal lens. I gave it to my sister-in-law as I wasn't getting much use out of it after buying the Oly 60mm f2.8, but I'd almost say the rendering on the Sigma was a touch better.

12. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Only just got this myself and love the sharpness of the S60 lens. Colour tones seem different to Oly, but very pleasing in their own right. Not exactly what it was meant for and cant wait to try it properly for portraits, but a test photo I took earlier today at Swansea. PP000196.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I find it a good lens. My only issue with it is that from a cold start, my olympus camera take a bit longer to start up. Only a second or so...but just something I noticed. I really like the rendering and the sharpness of the lens. Can't really beat it for the price.

14. Gromit

Gromit Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Lincoln UK
    Richard
    A most interesting thread - the S60 is a lens which hasn't even been on my furthest radar, but thanks to the OP I've done some reading up on this little gem today.

Looking at new prices in the UK, they're available (through official channels) for under £150. Ok I've already got the O60 Macro but for the money the Sigma's got to be worth a go.

15. BleedingGumsMurphy

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    It is 100% worth a go and will be interesting to hear which you think better. I think the Sigma will be for normal shooting.

16. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Some might say that f2.8 doesn't isolate the subject enough and long for f1.8
    For portrait however I find f1.8 too shallow unless I desire some weird feature and not the whole face/head sharp.
    I have the O 45/1.8 and the S 60/2.8. Somehow the bokeh on the Sigma is more pleasant than the O45/1.8, can't put the finger on it, I just like it better.
    And yes, the Sigma is pin sharp from wide open.
    For the money the Sigma punches way above its weight. The S30/2.8 is also stunning.
    The O75/1.8 it's a hard lens to use for close up portrait (head/shoulders) and a little bit bulkier/heavier.

Only the rare vintage manual focus lens gives me images that I like better.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BleedingGumsMurphy

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    The Sigma 60mm f2.8 has a shallower depth of field than the Olympus 45mm f1.8.

18. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    it does have too, according to this site: Online Depth of Field Calculator :blush:
    Then I wonder if that is correct since, if I want to have the same framing, I will be stepping back (further away) with the Sigma 60mm and therefore will I increase the DOF?

19. BleedingGumsMurphy

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    If you step back it will go out of focus :daz:
    If you want the same framing you will need to get another 45mm lens. Just try it with your zoom.

20. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    well, I could be adjusting the focus, no? :confused-53:

Here is the scenario: I have a 45/1.8 and a 60/2.8
    At wide open which one will give me more DOF for a given framing (I want my subject to be the same size within the frame) and I can distance myself further/get closer from the subject (like walking)

Why am I bent on wide open? :hmmm:
    Because unless the aperture has a high-count blade iris (like 15 rounded blades or so that give nice circular apertures, not hexagonal or such) my speckled highlights will appear to have geometrical shapes that to my eye are disturbing :eek:
    I often see movie scenes where the bokeh bubbles are very pleasant and then other cheaper productions where hexa-octagons appear in the background :frown:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017