Sigma 60mm f2.8 Pricing Announced...

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by edwardconde, May 1, 2013.

1. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That's an awesome price.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I think $199 would have been consistent with keeping Sigma :43: f/2.8 primes at the same price :biggrin::biggrin:.

That being said, I'm gonna have to get one if the reviews are decent. I had it marked 'pre-order' at B&H but have changed to 'notify when in stock'.

I doubt that the new lens will be an absolute dog, nor do I think that Amazon or Cameta or someone will be offering for less than the B&H price but I'd prefer not to be on the 'bleeding edge' of users of this lens.

I bought one of the first Chevy Vega automobiles off of the line and I've learned to be careful about "version 1.0" of anything :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

4. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    We'll see how reviews go. If it's sharp, and has reasonably fast focus, I'm probably in. I'm thrilled with my Sigma 30mm.

P.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

5. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Totally agree... wait for the reviews.. then maybe wait for a few months then the price will probably drop... let some of the initial stock get out before buying in... I have the 19 & 30... the 60 would be a nice FL in the camera bag at a bargain price... probably would be set for a while with the Sigma Trinity...

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I can really see this as a good economic alternative to the Oly 75mm. You can buy four of these Sigmas for the price of one Oly. :eek:

7. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Eh $260 more and you can get the Oly 60mm which has 1:1 macro and weathersealing. Itll have better resale value too.

8. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    $260 more and you can buy a spare Sigma to throw against a wall, and set fire to $20 in the street.

9. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    hahaha, too good

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm tempted to get one. For the price it's quite reasonable.The f/2.8 aperture should be reasonable enough for portraiture. At $239 it's not a bad price and it's built better (all metal) than the 45mm 1.8.

11. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    wow...the mtf shows it is overall better than the 19 and 30...and less ca too...

60mm-dn-new-mtf-chart.

33b-mtf.

30mm-dn_new-mtf-chart.

Attached Files:

12. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I'd be tempted to get one, but the new "zero texture" body design is a huge turn-off for me.

13. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the look of the lens too, but it does potentially look like a purchase for me too.

14. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Now for a similarly priced 90mm 2.8.:biggrin:

15. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Shizlefonzle!

For me it will all come down not to lens features, but to lens performance. I may be coming at the purchase from a different perspective than others.

I don't shoot macro so that takes the Olympus feature out of the equation.

The lack of weathersealing isn't a deal breaker; I used a rain cover with my Nikon DSLRs when using non-weathersealed lenses and never had a problem. I prefer not to be out in inclement weather but can make do with a ZipLoc bag if need be. I used one on a D70S in Alaska in some unfortunate weather and managed to come back with the gear intact and the photos that I wanted.

I shouldn't think that on an auto-focus lens the smooth bore design will be an issue for me.

Resale value isn't an issue from my standpoint; camera gear isn't an 'investment', it's an expense. I don't expect, at my advanced years :wink:, to be migrating systems again.

Obviously those considerations may loom large for other buyers and make the Olympus the better choice of the two lenses. For me, if I can save $260 and make photos that are "good enough" then I'll buy the Sigma.

Whichever camp one finds oneself in, I think we can all agree that it's good to see some third party competition in the micro four thirds lens arena :2thumbs:.

Regards,

Jim

16. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    You are reading my mind :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

17. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    For $199 less, I can get a manual 50 lens and adapter and move in closer to the subject.:biggrin:

As a happy owner of the new Sigma 30, I think the 60 would be more awesome if it had the same 9.5 inch minimum focus distance. If the IQ and AF is as good as the 30, then the 60 is a good deal....and an incredible deal when it eventually goes on sale.

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm not quite seeing the attraction. DoF isn't that shallow at f/2.8, and f/2.8 doesn't really seem fast enough for low light shooting overall. That said, the price is right, and more choices are certainly no bad thing.

19. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    F2.8 can be, depending on the focal length and distance. I'm able to get some decent blur on my 30 at 10 inches from the subject. Then again, with the 60 having twice the focal length as well as twice the min focus distance, the degree of blur may certainly be less.

20. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    +1

I don't see where is the attraction for this lens, apart from the price.
    It's not fast (f2.8 it's not bad, but it should be at least f2) For this price you can buy an used 45mm f1.8

The equivalent focal of 120mm is similar to the 135mm f2.8 lenses from film cameras, but due to the crop factor the f2.8 turns to f5.6 in terms of DOF