1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by beameup, Nov 20, 2013.

1. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    Has anyone had any experience with this lens? It seems to get good reviews.

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    OMG, you haven't heard?

search this forum for the sigma 60 image thread

it has good handling, smooth bokeh, extremely good sharpness from edge to edge and a very affordable price tag, so can I ask what are your questions?

3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Here's the sample thread: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=44462

Image quality looks very nice. I almost picked one up myself but a deal on another lens came up that was too good to pass on, so I've filled my G.A.S tank up for now.

4. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I've got the EX-25 extension tube and was wondering how it would work with the Sigma 60mm as I don't have a macro lens. I've been looking at the Olympus 50mm macro for about $300 used.

5. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I just ordered the 60/2.8 today.

6. TAZZY9899

TAZZY9899 New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2014
    I just bought mine last week and it is very very sharp. Focusing is pretty quick but it does have the smooth focus ring and the rattle thing. The color and contrast are both very good as well. The lens is edge to edge sharp by f4. One of my best buys in this hobby. TAzz

7. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Mine just arrived. I popped on the GX7 and took a couple of test shots - nothing worth posting. It is very sharp and has very nice bokeh. The build quality is amazing' far better than one would expect for a $200 lens. It does rattle when the camera is not on and when it is not mounted. The rattle is gone when the camera is on. I think it may be the quietest lens I own. I seeing it being used withmy GX7 set to silent mode quite a lot. I will post some photos on the 60/2.8 image thread later.

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have one of these, and it has the highest performance/price ratio of any µ4/3 lens. There's a good review of the lens at Lens Tip.

9. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    It's pretty much an optically perfect lens. You want sharp? It's one of the sharpest AF lenses ever made, if not THE sharpest. DxoMark touts the $1000 Zeiss 55mm ZA as the best AF lens they've ever tested... except that mounted on a NEX7, the lil' Sigma actually outscores it, just as it outpaces the much lauded 75mm Zuiko. That's how sharp of a lens we're talking about. On top of that it has virtually no optical aberrations, and the bokeh, contrast and color are pretty much perfect. The only reason the Sigma isn't talked about more is that M43 has a lot of other top-quality telephoto primes, each of which has its share of fans...

• Like Like x 1
  10. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I have the 30mm version and I can say that it's excellent. Before buying it I was like, "Well, I'll get this 30mm for now and sell it when I get the 14-35mm." But now that I have the Sigma I don't think there's anyway the 12-35 could match it (another reason I don't prefer zooms).

However, isn't this thread praising the 60mm a tad too highly? I would believe it if someone say it beats the Olympus 60mm macro, but is it really sharper then the 75mm? In this test, the 75 edges it: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-60mm-f-2-8-dn-a-lens-review-22333. http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-75mm-f-1-8-lens-review-20557.

BTW, the 30mm has both an Art and a regular version. Does the Art version have outside filters for a hood?

11. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    DXO rates the Sigma 60/2.8 very close to the Olympus 75/18. Having used both on my GX7 and GH3 I cannot tell the difference except for the FOV. For a lens costing around $550 ($625 less if you include the Olympus lens hood) less, Sigma has don an excellent job. They have included a hood and a pretty nice case for storage too. I am not belittling the excellent Oly 75, but just stating what a great buy the 60/2.8 is.

12. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know your exact requirements, but if you want a macro lens for relatively cheap, try to find a Canon FD 50mm f3.5 MACRO, with a cheap adapter it will works with the M43 body. For macro you wont need AF anyway so it will work great. It's a very nice lens with excellent IQ. It will work as a portrait lens as well... Here is an image thread

13. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I agree with silver92b about using an adapted film macro lens. I happen to use a Nikon 55/2.8 Micro Ai lens. There many good lenses available at very reasonable prices. Even figuring in the cost of an adapter you will still have spent less money than the cost of the Olympus 60 or the Panasonic Leica 45.

14. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    GX7, 60/2.8 DN

This lens is a keeper!

12580667943_6aa80c159b_c.