Sigma 60mm f2.8 $184 at B&H

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by HaViet, Oct 30, 2014.

1. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  3. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Follow my link. Search for the Sigma 60mm and then add to cart. Discount of $25 should apply automatically. Otherwise, sign into your account and then add coupon at check out.

4. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't see an option to enter the coupon code... Price shows as $209 after $30 rebate...

5. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    • Like Like x 1
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Your link has an elipsis (three dots) in it, which makes me think that it was truncated. Use the forum's URL tags for long URLs.

Barry

7. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Just used it, worked fine. Price $184 in cart. Placed order.

Thanks! Just what I needed - another lens :rolleyes:

EDIT: Sorry Barry, earlier response I had here I failed to realize which link you were referring to as broken! Eddie's link was working fine at the time, but that wasn't the one your were talking about. Sorry for the confusion!

• Like Like x 1
  8. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    I updated the link. Hopefully it works better this time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Got my shipping confirmation, should be here on Monday.

10. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Also got my ship confirm. And bought the 30/2.8 as well for $174. That also shipped. Monday arrival for both. Thanks again for the tip off!

11. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    My silver 60mm was just delivered by the brown man.

It looks great, love the stainless steel look. It is much bulkier than the Sigma 30mm I had previously.

12. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    My 30/2.8 and 60/2.8 arrived as well. Only have had time to do a basic functionality check, all seems OK at this point!

13. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT

Hey kwalsh, do you actually use all those lenses that you got?

:tongue:

14. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Ha ha. Some of them definitely not anymore. I've been in the system a long time and so many have essentially been replaced by others and I haven't gotten around to selling the old ones. The 45-200, 12/2, 17/1.8 and 20/1.7 all should be sold. And probably one or two more as well.

Thing is lenses don't depreciate much so I've not been in rush to sell. But I'm getting too many unused lenses now so it is getting close to time to sell a lot of them. I was planning on doing a nice big comparison of all of them before selling so that keeps delaying the inevitable!

Anyway it is ridiculous number of lenses - I've got the 30/2.8 and 60/2.8 now to try as a nice small pano-stitching setup with my GM1. Given the great deal I'll just sell them used at a small loss if I don't like them for that. Basically I've found it is usually just as cheap or cheaper to buy a lens at a good price and sell it later than it would be to rent it from some place like LensRentals. I just take forever to get around to selling (was almost three years of not using all my Canon glass before I sold that). Really I think the only lens I'll take a loss on and didn't use very much is the 12/2 - haven't used that one enough to justify having it around and prices have dropped a fair bit since I bought it. Everything other lens I get to own for as long as I want for anywhere from zero to fifty dollars after selling again. Of course I end up with a lot of dollars locked in lenses between buying and selling! It is sort of scary and crazy.

15. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Anyone noticed that the Sigma 60 is slower to focus than the Oly 45 or 75 lenses? I had a quick look at one, and wondered if my first impression was right or not. I haven't seen any tests discussing this.

16. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Just tried all three (45/1.8, 60/2.8 and 75/1.8) on a GM1 focusing from about 4ft out to 10ft and back. All three seem very close in focus speed. I did not measure the time using a video camera or anything, just tested all three in quick succession. No noticeable difference. AF is of course a complicated thing and so this simple test might not exposed less obvious differences such as hunting, tracking or low light performance. I know the 20/1.7 tests very close to other lenses in a test like this but in practical use is clearly slower to focus in many situations. I just don't have enough experience with the 60/2.8 yet to form any opinion beyond this very simple test.

17. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Thanks. I had tried it in isolation in an unusually dim arena, thinking it might be a good substitute for the 75. Perhaps an unfair test, since this arena was 2 stops worse than the local hockey arenas here. I did lots of post-processing on the photos and then cursed and put the lens in a drawer and went back to the 75 :)

Perhaps I'll give it a fair shake this weekend.

18. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    In low light, yes, I have noticed this. In good light, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. Edited to add that I am comparing to the Oly 45 - don't own the 75mm.

19. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    I am waiting for mine. What do you all think about the IQ for portrait? I am not a pro :)

20. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I think the focal length and rendering is wonderful for portraits. The f2.8 aperture gives just the right amount of DOF at head and shoulders portrait distances.