1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 60mm - Am I hallucinating ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by colonelpurple, Aug 14, 2014.

1. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Just bought this lens for ...... £120 !!!! new

Was going to do a review and then I read www.lenstip.com which summed it up for (except I don't believe in Santa Claus):
    "I stopped believing in Santa Claus somewhere around 1978 but Sigma might make me start to believe in him again.
    Why? If several months ago somebody told me that for the price of about 200 USD you can get a lens produced completely in Japan, made mostly of metal, with outstanding resolution right from the maximum relative aperture, a device correcting most of the basic optical aberrations very well, with a hard case and a hood included in box (something that other brand name producers add only to lenses costing several thousands USD) and two-year warranty period which can be optionally extended to three years, I would tell them they were off their rocker.
    Sigma made that pipe dream come true – because of their product I do feel it’s high time I started to believe in Santa Claus again…"​

On E-M1

Rgds

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    It is a beautiful lens. I'm surprised that it does not get more attention.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I would say that it is, along with the Olympus 75mm, the sharpest lens in the system - and IMHO, the focal length is more useful than the Oly 75mm. I paid $161 mint used for mine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm a huge fan of this lens. So we are both hallucinating I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Hmmm, I was pretty satisfied with my lens lineup but this could be a new contender. :coffee:

• Like Like x 1
  7. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    This has to be the must underrated Lens amongst m4/3 shooters, I think a lot write it off because of it's looks and it's cheap price, I only bought it because it was cheap and on the shelf in a camera shop... but what an AWESOME little lens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

If only it were a macro...

Went with the Oly due simply to the macro uses.... Otherwise, would have gone the Sigma. I'd love to see some fast primes form Sigma...

Z...

• Like Like x 1
  9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    BTW, this Sigma does extremely well with good apochromat close-up diopters added to it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Yes, but I need to house it - it's for use in scuba conditions. adding diopters and so on becomes difficult, as there are limits to the amount of space available inside the ports that house the lens. They are usually designed specifically for a particular lens, and nothing else will fit...

Z...

11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Agreed. The results I get from this lens keep me from missing my Canon 5DII/200mm f2.8 too much (my favorite lens I've ever used)

• Like Like x 1
  12. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I picked one up and in a single outing it went from an Olympus 75 pacifier to riding shotgun with my Panasonic 20. The lens is just stunning. You could make it smell bad and I would still treasure it. I even like the smooth focus ring now!

• Like Like x 1
  13. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    love it too... wish siggy would pump out more lens.. a nice 12-60 f2.8 zoom would be nice

• Like Like x 1
  14. JYC2

JYC2 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014
    I bought this lens just for taking pictures of my pet, plus for carrying this kind of telephoto lens when I travel. (The reason was that it was cheap!)
    But, from the first shot I have astonished by its great image quality. From that moment I have forgot the needs for Olympus 75mm F1.8 which I had wanted to buy before I bought Sigma 60mm.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I've read several reviews that stated when they woke the camera from sleep or initial power on it took up to 2 seconds before they were ready to take an image. Has anyone here who has the Sigma 30 or 60mm experienced this? This is something that has prevented me from buying this lens.

I'd love to test it myself, but no shop has any of the Sigma lenses locally to test out.

16. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2014
    Lacombe, Alberta
    I just ordered one from amazon just because of this thread.

17. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Just ordered one of these too - shame is so damned ugly though :smile:

18. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I have the 19mm and the 30mm and have never had a long start up time. Switch on and shoot. Both on my EPL2 and my G3 - same quick start up times. The 60mm is going to be my Birthday gift to myself :)

19. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Thanks. I might have to give the 60/2.8 a serious consideration if I find one at a good price.

20. Belin

Belin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    It's in my wishlist. I have just started using the 30mm which I find excellent....I think some 60mm might be useful when street photographing when I am bit shy to get too close to subject.