Showcase Sigma 600mm f8 Mirror-Reflex

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Justified_Sinner, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    Very difficult to handle! I had trouble even finding the target when I tried this at first but great fun once you get used to it. The IQ is pretty good - my expectations had been low after reading some reviews of it - and the doughnut bokeh are not so distracting. Other strange artefacts, however, are... have a look at the background shot of the bunting below.

<a href="" title="Peek-A-Buddha by the justified sinner, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="Peek-A-Buddha"></a>

<a href="" title="Smoking by the justified sinner, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="376" alt="Smoking"></a>

<a href="" title="Bunting by the justified sinner, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="Bunting"></a>

<a href="" title="Bronze Face by the justified sinner, on Flickr">[​IMG]"375" height="500" alt="Bronze Face"></a>
    • Like Like x 4
  2. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    I have one as well, forget about hand-holding it. Depth of field razor-thin as well. But if you hit the sweet spot, yowza! :)
  3. docfox

docfox Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2011
    Hatfield, PA
    It's a big lens, without question! It works best on a tripod and with a camera that has in-body image stabilization! While not as swanky as a Nikon mirror or a Vivitar Series 1 800mm f/11 Solid Catadioptric ("Solid Cat") lens, this Sigma stands head and shoulders above the cheap 500 mm f/8 mirror lenses offered by others. They were well built high-quality optics.

Mine was an Olympus OM-mount lens - mounts for all the popular 1970's SLRs were offered. They came as a kit including small red, orange, yellow and neutral density filters (that fit in a drawer on the left side of the lens), a spun aluminum lens shade and a threaded aluminum lens cap all in a black leather case.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Cross-posting from the Adapted Lens thread -- mine's a Nikon mount that has a bit of fungus and delamination along the edges of the mirror, still, I'm pretty happy with my first stab at using it tonight. A 28% crop for centering and a fair amount of sharpening and some level manipulation to bring out details.

Moonshot with adapted Sigma 600mm ƒ8 Mirror Lens
    by Lewis Francis, on Flickr
  5. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    • Like Like x 7