Sigma 60 mm 2.8 is the cheapest and crapiest of all MFT lenses ..

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And I am liar actually . Just received Sigma 60 mm 2.8 few days ago and I can tell simply rocks . If u don't do macro then it puts Olympus 60 mm 2.8 into shame . I will do a comparasion review soon but here are some pics to show what it offers .This lens outperforms my all time fav Olympus 45 mm as far as performance to price ratio is concerned . It's urs for AUD180 here in Oz

1)This lens is fast ..

image by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

2)it's beautiful

3)performance is musical ..

It's trendy and hipster

Please reserve yours at table number 40 with a glass of wine

6) I wasn't cheeky I suppose ...

7) here it is with brother from another mother ...

• Like Like x 11
  2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    All three of the Sigma lenses are great. If it wasn't that they were bigger than they need to be for MFT, I think they would be considered must-have lenses over the Panny and Oly options. I wish Sigma would come out with more lenses for mirrorless cameras.
  3. Bhupinder2002

I totally agree . I am very impressed with size , performance and price of this lens . I am selling Olympus 60 mm soon and keeping sigma .
  4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    What is the noise level of the focusing on these lenses? Like the MSC or a truck?
  5. fritsk

fritsk Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    Looks very nice in silver. Wonder what it looks like on a black em5...

Looking forward to your comparison. I'm considering this lens as well.
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I sold my 60mm because it was redundant with 75mm, but yes, its price/performance ratio is astounding.

• Like Like x 5
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Still think it looks like a can of beans!
  8. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Why in a world Sigma came up with so slow lenses for mirrorless cameras? They have some fastest glass for FF system. And just look at how nicely built their Art series is over there (just can't stand this mirrorless 'can of beans' design). If it was at least 60mm 1.8 ... but 2.8 is a way to slow for me.
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Nice images, but I don't care for the title of this thread. It sounds like you're trolling (lack of spellcheck doesn't help either).
  10. Bhupinder2002

Hi Dara ..The title is to get attention :wink: I don't like trolling .
  11. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    hi Bhupinder

I've been considering adding a 45 1.8 despite that I already have the Sigma 60, which I can't find any other word to describe but perfect. So now I'm looking forward to seeing your real world comparison especially in bokeh and colour rendering. Just don't do stupid shooting brick wall and trying to compare corner sharpness and CA because no doubt Sigma wins.
  12. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Hey, i'm thinking about acquiring this lens. I couldn't find a review by members of this forum, so i'm a bit OT, hope you don't mind.

Anyone care to chime in on the alleged flare and ghosting of this lens? Also, i've heard about CA being very bad, is it really that bad?

Is it true that there are two versions of this lens (the Mark II has lower noise of the floating element and handles flare/ghosting better) or is it jibber jabber?

Thx in advance

EDIT: Art series is the name of the Mark II, if i understand correctly... Does anyone know what the difference is between it and the non-art series?
  13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    low priced and made in Japan. Impressive achievement by Sigma. Thanks to Sigma, Nex has some great glass at low cost and weight. How is AF performance compared to Oly 45?
  14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    There was no non "Art" 60mm as far as I know. There was only a version 1 of the 19 and 30. I haven't seen any issues with flare or ghosting or CA, my brief tests shooting into the sun seemed to handle flare pretty well.

AF performance seems competitive, but I haven't done a head to head. My copy of the lens seems to be at least as sharp as my P20 (in other words, very sharp), with great contrast and luminance range (I'm not sure of the technical that transmission?). Its optically excellent, renders great with a lot of pop and contrast, and is one of the real bargains in m43. Its not fast, and not tiny (but not big either), but its optical performance-to-price ratio is one of the best in the system without question.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I like the fact that it's a very small, light weight lens. And BTW, it's also pretty darn good for macro work with a good achromat diopters.
  16. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    I've just picked up the same lens myself a few weeks back.
    I had intended to pick up the black version to go with the EM1, however I ended up going with the silver.
    This lens completely fell under my lens radar until I accidentally saw a string of images on flikr and was blown away by the image quality.
    The lens is very contrasty and extremely sharp - however I'm aware that this may sound paradoxical - it also manages to retain a certain softness for portraits that other lenses just don't have. It manages to have an old school rendering combined with modern sharpness at the centre that I love.
    I'm enjoying this lens very much at the moment.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bhupinder2002

I have series II which is art series and I have no issues whatsoever . The rattling sounds disappears when u turn the camera on . This lens is absolutely must for every MFT
  18. Bhupinder2002

Exactly my thoughts . I also ended up with silver version . I would have loved the black one
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bhupinder2002

Follow spatula boy' s thread
  20. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    It certainly is a good value and has nice IQ, but to say it puts the Oly to shame is just not true.