Showcase Sigma 56mm f/1.4 DC DN

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When I was five, I was in the back of my dad's Jaguar Mk2 heading down the M1 when my nan casually asked: "Peter...are those flames supposed to coming out from under the dashboard?"
It's always the smokes fault. Everything is fine & dandy, until the smoke gets out. Electrical wires, & equipment, engines, food, tyres, you name it. As soon as that smoke gets out, it's all over :)

Real Name
Richard
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lastly, a five shot, bent by lightroom to compensate for my hand-held wonkiness. Was a bit bolder with the clarity slider on this one.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The 56 is starting to see a bit more use, now that I'm getting a bit more mobile. Yay for small & light m4/3 gear that you take most places with you, with no effort. Spotted this when out car parts shopping for the wife's car.

Should have stopped down a little bit more for this one. Sloping bonnet already runs short of DOF.

Just got this lens. Sold my Olympus 60mm macro to buy this one. I can say honestly that the Sigma appears almost as sharp at f1.4 as the Olympus is at f2.8. Have to do more with it.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I can say honestly that the Sigma appears almost as sharp at f1.4 as the Olympus is at f2.8. Have to do more with it.
Is there such a thing as too sharp? My wife would say yes. Even at f/1.6 mine is as sharp as a razor, highlighting every little blemish and wrinkle. I'm a huge fan of mine. The wife not so much :)

Is there such a thing as too sharp? My wife would say yes. Even at f/1.6 mine is as sharp as a razor, highlighting every little blemish and wrinkle. I'm a huge fan of mine. The wife not so much :)
I've noticed this too. Actually the Canon nFD 50mm f1.4 was sharp enough at f1.8 to get eye lashes nice but would render other details a little softer. I might have to use a lowpass filter to soften the skin.

You have to be careful how you use this lens because it is just so sharp and the bokeh is crazy at f1.4

Not bad for birds. 100% crop

Super nice lens

There are two things that I look for in a lens. Inexpensive and of course character. I almost never find that combination in digital lenses, and why I almost exclusively use old 35mm film lenses. This Sigma looks like it is worth a little investigation.
I agree and would say that the Canon nFD 50mm f1.4 has more character, but it is heavier and harder to use, and it isn't sharp enough at f1.4 and the Sigma is super sharp at f1.4. Am just learning how to use it.

pake

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Teemu
I've been shooting at 2 events now with the Sigma (one dance show and one private party) and I can say that I love this lens. The only negative thing I can think of is that it's not a zoom lens. :D

Lovely portrait lens

drknaim

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tim

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom