Sigma 56 f/1.4 focus question

GreinerStudio

Mu-43 Regular
Just received a "new to me" mint condition lens. Initial testing, the Autofocus seems a bit slow. Also in manual focus, switching focus from an object about 8ft away to one about 4ft required nearly a full turn (360 degrees) on the focus ring. Is this normal for this lens? I thought focus was touchy....

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Long focus throw is nicer for MF IMO. I find it one of the nicer MF lenses, most of the others without MF clutch I find too sensitive.

As for AF - it's a little slower but not that slow. The PL25 was slower than this. I have no problems taking pictures of my three year old with it on the GX850 or E-M1 Mk2.

Last edited:

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I was comparing to the 35-100 f2.8 and 45mm f1.8 and I got a better keeper rate at max aperture using AFC on my G85. Seemed impressive given it would have the least DOF of the 3.

GreinerStudio

Mu-43 Regular
Long focus throw is nicer for MF IMO. I find it one of the nicer MF lenses, most of the others without MF clutch I find too sensitive.
I agree a long throw is nice. Does this appear to be the normal throw for this lens or longer than normal?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I agree a long throw is nice. Does this appear to be the normal throw for this lens or longer than normal?
Focus throw is not something that varies between samples on a focus-by-wire lens, unless the lens is totally broken. I have no way to know what is normal for this lens design, but I would say that it has one of the longer throws among the m4/3 AF lenses I've used.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom