Sigma 50mm/2.8

RichardB

Snapshooter
Real Name
Richard
Sigma just announced its DP3 camera, with a 50mm/2.8 lens.

Sigma says that its current MFT and NEX lenses are based on the DP1's 19mm/2.8 lens and the DP2's 30mm/2.8 lens.

It looks like a safe bet that Sigma will soon start selling a 50mm/2.8 lens for MFT and NEX.

elavon

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ehud
It will have a stiff competition from the O45 F/1.8 and the cheap fast legacy glass.
I do not see a great demand for it, unless it will be very cheap and with great image quality.

chasm

Mu-43 Veteran
I have both current Sigmas and like them very much - I'd certainly give the 50mm a serious look!

snkenai

Mu-43 Top Veteran
We have the 30mm. Great for the price, as long as you are content wit AF only, and 2.8.

elavon

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ehud
It will have a stiff competition from the O45 F/1.8 and the cheap fast legacy glass.
I do not see a great demand for it, unless it will be very cheap and with great image quality.

On second thought I see a market for sub 300$ lens like this. I have looked at my images and I have used the 45-50mm for quite a lot. A moderate price lens with AF and good quality at f/2.8 will get place in many kits.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One advantage the Sigma could have (for some folks) over the Olympus 45 is MFD. I sold my Olympus 45 after becoming frustrated at the rather longish MFD. I bought a Panasonic 45/2.8 and was much happier with it even not using the Macro all that much. If the Sigma 50 is like the 19 and 20 which have a MFD of about a foot I would choose it over Olympus 45 without a second thought. FWIW the image quality on the Sigma 30 on the NEX is very very good.

elavon

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ehud
One advantage the Sigma could have (for some folks) over the Olympus 45 is MFD. I sold my Olympus 45 after becoming frustrated at the rather longish MFD. I bought a Panasonic 45/2.8 and was much happier with it even not using the Macro all that much. If the Sigma 50 is like the 19 and 20 which have a MFD of about a foot I would choose it over Olympus 45 without a second thought. FWIW the image quality on the Sigma 30 on the NEX is very very good.

The MFD is relative to focal length the Sigma 50mm will have probably 50cm MFD like the O45 of focal length, unless they will had some sort of macro ability.
take a look at this table for all :43: lenses MFD.

Micro Four Thirds Lenses - HENNIGArts : Gear

elavon

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ehud
The press release says the DP3's 50mm/2.8 lens gives the camera a minimum focusing distance of 22.6cm (8.9”).

Interesting this make this lens more appealing. A quick calculation it will give about 1:2 macro mode.
They state in the data sheet "22.6cm~∞, LIMIT Mode (It is possible to choose Macro, Portrait and Scenery.)"
They probably have some kind of a switch to set macro mode. I hope that it will be possible to set it with :43: bodies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom