1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 50-500 FT on e-m5?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by franklyadam, Jan 30, 2015.

1. franklyadam

franklyadam Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2014
    Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience with the sigma 50-500mm? Specifically how it handles on the e-m5 or e-m1? There is one forsale locally for about 500$ canadian but I don't see a lot of chatter or comparison of the lens on mft. I'm thinking mainly wildlife with it, birds and whatnot. Or perhaps a 50-200 with ec20 would be better?

Thanks!! :)

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It will only really be effective on the E-M1 and there's been lots of mixed reviews over the years about this lens. Here's a local post: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=48701, Google has many more. If it's a 4/3 mount Sigma, it might be worth considering, otherwise the 50-200mm is a stellar lens.

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Ray do you have the SWD model? Is it better to have the SWD?

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I used to own the non-SWD 50-200mm (my first one was replaced under warranty after it fell apart), so I really don't know what the difference is between the two. I suspect that the SWD model also had some internal redesign to prevent the lens falling apart, but that's only a guess. If I were looking at getting a 50-200mm, I'd go the SWD just for the comfort of knowing that there most likely would have been some internal redesign and that the SWD should make for faster focus.

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The SWD focuses a little faster and quieter than the non SWD, but both will only work well on a body with PDAF such as the E-M1.

Would the Sigma be fast enough for wildlife?

Barry

6. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Are you going to purchase the 40-150 new PRO lens or are you happy with the 50-200mm

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Unless something dramatic happens, I'm quite settled with my four lens repertoire. The 90-250mm is a heavy mother of a lens, but the 100mm at the long end makes for a huge difference. Having the 35-100mm f2 and EC-14, I already have close enough to a 40-150mm f2.8 lens. None of these will have the focussing speed of the 40-150mm and other m4/3 pro lenses, but in all other respects, these are one off lenses that Olympus may never make again.

8. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Hi,
    I have started a similar thread not to long ago...

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=72428

Decided not to go for it...
    From What I read it will focus slower then the 50-200 and is not sharp at the long end...

9. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I use the 50-500 quite a bit and get really nice results- even at 500mm........but.......there are quite a few variants of this lens with the newest ones having OS......I have the older Minolta mount and this one is a real gem- I've owned about 5 of these and my current one is the sharpest I've ever seen........having said that- most are good up to 400mm or so- at 500mm they go soft- but occasionally you can get a sharp example of the lens as I have- I probably will never sell it!

10. StuartF

StuartF New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2013
    South Africa
    Stuart Fleming
    I have a 4/3rds copy that I used to use on my E510 and I absolutely love the lens however I have tried it on my EM-5 and the auto focus is too slow and very unreliable. I have tried using it with manual focus but am struggling. I am actually considering selling it to buy a 75-300mm but am afraid I will regret it. I know if I sell it I will probably never be able to get my hands on another one.

I havent tried it on a EM-1 however my father has one and I am planning on visiting him this weekend. I might take it with and give it a test.

11. StuartF

StuartF New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2013
    South Africa
    Stuart Fleming
    Okay, I played around with my fathers EM-1 and the Bigma last weekend and can confirm that it focuses just as well as it does on my old 4/3rds DSLR.

12. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Is this good or bad?

13. StuartF

StuartF New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2013
    South Africa
    Stuart Fleming
    It was never that quick to begin with but is definitely usable on the EM-1. For perched birds and slow moving wildlife it is fine. For sport and BIF I think it will suffer but these have never been mft's strong areas.

14. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    That's good to know. When I shot Canon I had the 150-500 and got some amazing photos with it, lens actually surprised me. I came across a 50-500 for 4/3's but was afraid to pull the trigger, kind of wish I had now (but at the time I only had my EM5, not the EM1). Having 1000mm equivalent would be great for those time when I really need the reach.

15. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I may look for the 4/3 version- I like the idea of having AF- even if it's slow....will scour eBay.