Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by brnmatsumoto, Aug 14, 2010.

1. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I decided to see if my Sigma 400 mm F5.6 APO would work for on my G1HD. So I mounted it on an adapter Nikon to micro fourthirds, shot at ISO 800 and went hunting in my garden. No birds to shoot :frown: but I managed to find a little butterfly. It would not fill the frame, so I am posting a jpg that was cropped from the 3K by 4K frame to about 2K by 2K. I then put in a file that showed what it appeared as a 100% blowup on Photoshop.

I was amazed that the shots came out this well and I will test this lens and if there is interest, write a brief review. All shots were done at f8 and I allowed the camera to set the shutter speed. Depth of field was very narrow. But hopefully, practice will improve the results.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Nice, but for this application it might have been easier to walk closer with a different lens...
    - Looking forward to more wild animals shots from you with this lens

3. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're absolutely right. A trip to the zoo would have provided more suitable subjects--but the lens was supposed to be macro capable and I could not resist. I have several lenses that I look forward to testing on the Panasonic, including a mirror lens.

Brian

4. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    brnmatsumoto, promising results. You may want to try this with a Nikon PN-11 extension -- chances are you'll get the ultimate lens for shooting dragonflies with huge working distance!

5. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is an interesting suggestion--it would give me more close up power.

The 400 mm lens is cumbersome--and next time I try these experiments it will be tripod mounted rather than hand held. Hitting focus and framing the subject is difficult at this magnification. Actually, even finding the subject is a challenge at this magnification.

Brian

6. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Some final words on the Sigma

I am impressed with the Sigma lens--it is optically very good and it provides a low cost option for long distance shooting. With the Panasonic G series camera it is a pleasure to use. However, as a macro lens it is a little too much. Although it gets close enough, maneuvering such a monster is painful--finding the subject is a challenge and keeping it in the frame is a chore. For this work it really needs to be tripod mounted. But even so, it does a pretty good job. I am going to sign off these experiments with my last macro insect shot and a shot of my cat Gunther. He was napping and appreciated that I did not disturb him by approaching with my normal lens. The distance that the Sigma lens provided him plenty of quiet.

Brian

Attached Files: