1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by brnmatsumoto, Aug 14, 2010.

1. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I decided to see if my Sigma 400 mm F5.6 APO would work for on my G1HD. So I mounted it on an adapter Nikon to micro fourthirds, shot at ISO 800 and went hunting in my garden. No birds to shoot :frown: but I managed to find a little butterfly. It would not fill the frame, so I am posting a jpg that was cropped from the 3K by 4K frame to about 2K by 2K. I then put in a file that showed what it appeared as a 100% blowup on Photoshop.

I was amazed that the shots came out this well and I will test this lens and if there is interest, write a brief review. All shots were done at f8 and I allowed the camera to set the shutter speed. Depth of field was very narrow. But hopefully, practice will improve the results.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Nice, but for this application it might have been easier to walk closer with a different lens...
    - Looking forward to more wild animals shots from you with this lens

3. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're absolutely right. A trip to the zoo would have provided more suitable subjects--but the lens was supposed to be macro capable and I could not resist. I have several lenses that I look forward to testing on the Panasonic, including a mirror lens.

Brian

4. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    brnmatsumoto, promising results. You may want to try this with a Nikon PN-11 extension -- chances are you'll get the ultimate lens for shooting dragonflies with huge working distance!

5. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is an interesting suggestion--it would give me more close up power.

The 400 mm lens is cumbersome--and next time I try these experiments it will be tripod mounted rather than hand held. Hitting focus and framing the subject is difficult at this magnification. Actually, even finding the subject is a challenge at this magnification.

Brian

6. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Some final words on the Sigma

I am impressed with the Sigma lens--it is optically very good and it provides a low cost option for long distance shooting. With the Panasonic G series camera it is a pleasure to use. However, as a macro lens it is a little too much. Although it gets close enough, maneuvering such a monster is painful--finding the subject is a challenge and keeping it in the frame is a chore. For this work it really needs to be tripod mounted. But even so, it does a pretty good job. I am going to sign off these experiments with my last macro insect shot and a shot of my cat Gunther. He was napping and appreciated that I did not disturb him by approaching with my normal lens. The distance that the Sigma lens provided him plenty of quiet.

Brian

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.