1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30mm internal wobble?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kevwilfoto, May 10, 2012.

1. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    My Sigma 30mm/2.8 arrived today. It matches what everyone else has been saying - nice optics, slow startup, quick focus, sturdy but plastic-y build, great price, etc.

But it wobbles unless it's mounted on the camera and powered on.

Aim above level and it feels like something inside slides backward. Aim below level and something wobbles forward. It's not a minor looseness. Something with a bit of heft to it is moving around in there. In my mind I'm picturing a floating optical group of lenses wiggling about.

This doesn't happen when the camera is powered on. It seems to operate just fine during use. So weird!!

Has anyone else noticed this? Do I have a bad copy?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    According to someone on another forum I read, the Sigma doesn't park its focus group when powered off, and it just rattles around freely inside the lens. I don't know if that's true or not, but it is a little worrisome.

3. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
    why is it worrisome? i've had mine for two months now and never had any problems

4. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    This also happens on the 19, I heard it reported by other reviewers. So it's seems to be the norm. I wouldn't worry about it, just a quirk with the focsuing type of the lens.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Call me paranoid but it sounds prone to damage.

6. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    Mine makes the same sound. Apparently when the power is off, the focusing motor is disengaged and the internal focusing elements move freely.

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You people worry too much about every little thing. It's normal, enjoy the lens.

8. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

You're paranoid.

(That's what you told us to call you!)