1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30mm has a small speck

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dayam, May 2, 2014.

1. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    Hi guys,

I just got my Sigma 30mm just about a week ago. I was playing around with the camera and noticed a small speck on the front glass. I tried to wipe it off but it didn't come off and that's when I realized it was behind the glass, which means it's inside the lens. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the pictures I've taken, but will this affect image quality? Should I leave it or bring it back since it's under warranty anyways?

It's on the lower left of the glass right above the letter "i" in "Made in Japan".

uploadfromtaptalk1399036727940.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    If it's really bothering you (I know I like things to be absolutely perfect with new possessions), see if you can return it...but it really won't affect anything, and it's actually quite normal for small things like that to be inside lenses. Since they're not vacuum sealed units, sooner or later, you'll get them anyways...they should not affect image quality.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    This is great to know then. As long as it doesn't affect the image quality, I'm all good.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Had the same issue with my new Olympus 12-40. There was a speck of dust behind the front element. Since it's a weathersealed lens I thought that wasn't right so I exchanged it. Just my 2 cents, but if you're within the return period, why not take it back? If anything it will save you from having to explain that speck down the road if you ever want to sell the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Did you buy it on ebay? I bought one on ebay and if it had been used and just had a dust speck it would have been fine but it was new and the spec was shiny so I sent it back. That looks just like that lens. I bought a new on right after that thought.

6. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    I got it brandnew from a Sigma dealer here in Singapore. I might give them a visit next week because I just tried to register my lens online and I kept getting a message that the serial number has already been registered. Hmmmm. Something doesn't seem right.

7. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 4