1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Adubo, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    i've been searching the forum all day and reading reviews online and not getting enough info on how it handles, what to love and not to like.

please do direct me if there is an existing Image Thread for this native lens...

...been thinking for a long time if i should get the PL25 or not... as some of you know, i shoot almost purely street and i only use my 14mm f2.5 lens and some MF lenses sometimes... using a 50mm legacy lens is really cumbersome its big and heavy and its too long for my taste...

that led to the PL25... a little longer than the 14, but not too long like the 45mm. the only thing that's holding me back from purchasing one sooner is that it costs a lot... more than i can handle (since im also keen on getting a samyang 7.5 and contemplating on an e-m5 at the moment)

and then this beauty came along... at first i wasnt as interested as i am now, but when i shot an art camp last week, i keep on grabbing that legacy 50 as 14 is just too wide... zoom? no, i dont like zoom lenses. they're slow (aperture wise) and big, it extends and... i can keep on going but the point is

i want a 50-ish lens (60 in the case of the 30mm sigma)
    fast (2.8 is kinda fast, but i'll jump in)
    and it wont rob me when i get out of the shop (the sigma only costs 200usd!!!!) its crazy cheap!

and for what i've seen online, its really sharp, too.

would love to know if there are any of us here that owns it already :)

TIA,

Andrew

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Honestly, if Sigma had just gotten another stop out of the lens (f2) it would be an amazing lens to have. The DP2 Merrill that lens is taken from isn't even good at high ISO, why would they not give it a faster aperture?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    i think if they did, it would be too big to compete with the 20mm and PL25

4. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    thanks, Kabayan! its nice to read the owners' opinion/review section and read that it focuses fast even on an e-p2, taht's great news since im thinking of using it on my e-p1. maybe the gf2 will get to use the samyang 7.5mm permanently when it gets here 2nd week of may! cheers!

p.s your post was very timely since im buying it tom or on tuesday... salamat!

5. travlpix

travlpix New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2010
    Good lens for the money

If you don't mind its plastick-y feel, the Sigma 30 is a good buy, esp. at its attractive price. I find it plenty sharp for all-around use, its minimum focus distance useable for flower close-ups, etc. (it's not a macro, though) -- but the focus ring is a little sticky when focusing manually, at least on my lens. Because of this I tend to grip it too hard, which deflects the lightly built ring and makes it stick even more. The answer? Use auto focus and the problem goes away.

I don't think this lens will withstand extra-hard use and abuse, but for most people it will be just fine. And its price doesn't demand you sell a limb first.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew

Thanks. mate! no worries about the MF ring since i dont like fly-by-wire focusing, i'll stick to AF.

is it really plasticky? do you think it will break easily? (silly question but...)that's something that i'll reconsider since i dont use a conventional camera bag (almost all the time i sue an ordinary canvas bag and cameras bump around without any pads inside)

7. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    Go for it!
    No issues since I did the first detailed review on the net.
    https://www.mu-43.com/f108/new-sigma-30mm-f2-8-review-22490/

No issues so far - sharp, silent, fast autofocus, great bokeh, better edge performance than the 20mm, cheap. And most of the susiquent reviews since my initial review have confirmed these qualities.

I too love to shoot with my 14mm f2.5 and 45mm f1.8 most of the time and the Sigma 30mm f2.8 provides the perfect filler in between the two on the rare occasions when I need a little bit more tele than the 14mm or a little wider than the 45mm.

I'm saving my pennies for the new expected Olympus 75mm f1.8, Samyang 7.5mm and OM-D body in that order and those take higher priority for me than pouring my funds into a focal length that I don't use a lot or find that interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew

thanks, Qwerty! that was a nice review, now I'm convinced in getting this lens within the week. that sigma 30 is the closest to the PL25 that i can afford and as far as reviews are saying, its tack sharp and Jim really confirms its use in street shooting...

thanks guys! i'll be uploading sample photos this weekend when i get my sigma 30!

9. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer

Congrats in advance Kabayan!
    Please do post photos from this lens once you got it.

I'm also interested in this lens. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    hahaha! salamat!

will do, and BTW congrats on your e-m5... been thinking really hard when to get the e-m5 and possibly the earliest im getting one's by december this year, no funds for a new body and i'm getting the samyang 7.5 this may, too.

besides, i'm still having fun with the e-pl2 and e-p1!:smile: (that's just another excuse i made up)

11. Bamamike

Bamamike Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Koblenz, Germany
  12. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
  13. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    is it normal that the lens takes a second to start?

when i turn it on it start as blacked out (even without the lens cap) and takes a second to start up and show an image (focused, or not).

i think its a lag due to the floating element that takes a bit of time to "magnetize" and turns on...

....i'm worried that i might get a defective one since im buying from abroad.

thanks guys!