1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Qwerty, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    The new Sigma 30mm f2.8 is now in stock at B&H, just ordered mine. Looks pretty small in size.

For reference, first online review: Sigma 30mm F2.8

• Like Like x 3
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Thanks for the link! Considering the MSRP if these lenses end up with a street price around $150 - they'd sure make a great budget pair of primes. They seem quite compact and nicely built, and sigma's focus motor is pretty quiet (if it similar to their larger lens lines). Can't wait for some more reviews!

3. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    I was looking to fill the gap between my Panasonic 14mm f2.5 and my Olympus 45mm f1.8.

Although the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 is a fine lens, it's too close in angle of view compared to my 14mm for my taste.

A lens around 25mm would be ideal, but the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 is too expensive for a focal length that I seldom use frequently enough to justify its cost.

Hopefully the Sigma 30mm fills that gap for me nicely and at $199 it's a great price!

4. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    post some pics when you receive it... I am as well, intrigued by this lens....

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    My only disappointment with these lenses is being slightly slow for primes. I'd gladly have paid another $50 for F2. Though the focal lengths work on M4/3, it is clear they were primarily made with sony's e-mount primarily in mind, and the slower speed then makes sense because sony doesn't have any lenses competing with these.

6. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I went to the B&H website. Why is there 2 items for the m43 mount? One says equivalent to 45mm in 35mm (1.5x crop factor) and the other said equivalent to 60mm in 35mm(2x crop factor)? :confused: The former being available and the latter not. There is also one item for the E mount. I think the correct one for m43 is the 60mm equivalent w/c is unavailable yet. Maybe they just made a mistake. :confused:

sigma 30mm f2.8

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That is likely the case, they probably made an initial pre-order page (with copied/pasted material from the web), and then later added the actual correct information in a new order page when they received the details directly from Sigma. In the process the original page was likely not deleted in error.

8. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I would suspect a jump to f/2 would have doubled the price. I think for $200 this might be a great lens to add to the collection :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    It's clear Sigma tried to pull a fast one by designing the lens for the NEX and then trying to port it over to Micro 4/3. If it were not for the low price, this lens would have little appeal. Hopefully going forward Sigma will come to understand that Micro 4/3 is a mature system and put their design expertise towards building optics optimized for the format.

I'll post some images of the lens once I receive it. Yes a fast version of the 30mm (like the 30mm f1.4 AF they have for APC) would have been nice, but then its price would have likely approached that of the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f1.4, making the 30mm less compelling given its odd focal length.

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Why would the price of the 30mm f1.4 have approached Panasonic's 25mm when the 30mm sells for mid-$400?

I don't see this fast one people are alluding to, yeah they were made primarily for the e-mount, but the lenses are compact in a size comparable to smaller offering from m4/3 as well - these lenses are simply something from sigma's more budget oriented business end, nothing wrong with getting the cost of micro 4/3 lenses down from the stratosphere (especially from panasonic)!

11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Sigma's business is making a single design that can be used on many cameras by changing the mount. This lens and the 19mm to come were manufactured first for m4/3 but were designed with APS sized sensors in mind. There will likely be more cameras with APS sensors so it makes sense for them. I doubt they're going to start designing lenses specifically for a single mount. It's just not what they do.

12. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Comparing prices on B&H for new lenses, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is $489 and the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 is $539. Not much price difference but well above $199. I would fully that if this was a 1.4 it would be priced about the same as the current 30mm 1.4 that Sigma sells.

I have to admit I've ordered the Sigma even though it seems like an odd length. Maybe I spent too may years shooting 35mm film with 55~58mm to like the 20mm. I expect my primary kit will be 45/1.8, 30/2.8, and either the 14 or 17mm. Now if somebody would just bring out a 1.4X TC.......

13. These same two lenses (in fixed-mount form) also appear on the new DP1 and DP2 Merrill fixed lens compacts with the almost APS-C sized Foveon sensor. These cameras may well have been intended as the primary recipient of the two new lenses, with the spin-off interchangable lenses for NEX and Micro 4/3 a neat way to make more sales from what appears to be essentially the same lenses. I agree that it is unlikely they will make specific lenses for the Micro 4/3 mount unless the standard miraculously becomes a powerhouse in the camera industry with enough volume to justify it - I'm not holding my breath. The mirrorless market has made it hard for the likes of Tamron and Sigma because there is no consensus on sensor size, and if we see Canon using the G1X sensor in an interchangeable lens camera there will be yet one more.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, they have actually said as much - the lens designs are for the DP compacts.

Because they don't use software correction, there's also less of an advantage in size/speed for m4/3 than with lenses designed specifically for the format.

DH