Sigma 30mm f2.8 wide open

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Qwerty, May 5, 2012.

1. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    I'm very pleased with the overall performance of the new Sigma 30mm f2.8, especially when shooting wide open at f2.8, here are a couple of samples:

• Like Like x 12
  2. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Great shots.
    Since this lens doesn't come with a hood,have you found one for it?
  3. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Yes I use a standard 46mm metal lens hood. Can be found on ebay for around $5 or so. This is what it looks like and it accepts a 58mm pinch lens cap on the front.

• Like Like x 4
  4. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I was a tad confused when you said it didn't come without a hood, since mine did, but then I saw the pictures further below and noticed you had the EX where as mine was the ART Lens (smooth finish on the focusing ring).

The 30/2.8 DN Art doesn't seem as sharp as the 60/2.8 DN Art, and I'm curious to see what the 100% crop is on some of your sample pictures compared to the newer 30/2.8 that I have.
  5. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    I have both the 30mm and the 60mm and find the 60 seems to be sharper.
    I think the 30mm is sharp but has smoother rendering whereas the 60 is just bitingly sharp.
    I don't use the 30 as much as the 60 but should really give it some more playtime.
  6. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    I personally haven't found the 30 particularly prone to flare.

My Oly 45 is much more flare prone and I put a rubber lens hood on it. Would do the same for the 30 if I felt I needed one. Personally, I like the lowly collapsible rubber ones the best because you can leave them on and they don't add much size.