Sigma 30mm F1.5 EX DC HSM F1.4 for Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by flyby, Mar 27, 2011.

1. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am considering this lens for my GF1 and G2 does anyone use it or have experience with it? My primary question would be if with the Panasonic adapter for 43 to micro 43 would this lens work with auto-focus or would it be just a manual focus lens on these bodies?
    Please..if you have this lens and are using it..tell me what you think. Thanks
  2. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I had this lens for a while and used it with an E-PL1 and 4/3 adapter. It worked (autofocused), albeit much slower than the Gen 1 kit lens. I'm not sure if it will autofocus with the Panasonic bodies; there is a chart somewhere which describes this - important because Panasonic does not support AF in several of the 4/3 lenses.

From my recollection, the IQ was quite good.

I sold it beause:
    1) With the adapter, it was a hefty package, similar to the Panny 45-200.
    2) The 60mm equivalent is an awkward field of view - a bit too long for normal and a bit too short for portraits. I found myself more likely to reach for a manual focus lens (Konica Hexanon 40/1.8) for portraits, and the wonderfully compact 20/1.7 for a "wide normal".

I think that if it had been either physically smaller or longer in focal length (or if I had kept a 4/3 DSLR body), I would have kept it.