Sigma 30mm f1.4 (nikon f mount)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bangonthedoortwice, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Bangonthedoortwice

Bangonthedoortwice Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2012
    Hi guys,

I would like to experiment on my m43 cameras (EM5, GF2) my Nikon primes (30mm, 50mm, 85mm) but the 30mm sigma does not have an aperture ring.
    Does anyone have experience with this particular lens? If so, with which adapter?

The other thing I am curious about is seeing if i like a long lens like the 85mm on the EM5. That should help decide whether saving up for the Olympus 75mm is worth it being a similiar short telephoto portrait lens.

Any opinions/advice is welcome,

2. Jesse_S

Jesse_S Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    I have the 30mm 1.4 for Nikon. Excellent lens.

They make Nikon to m43rds adapters that have a mechanical aperture adjustment for lenses that don't have them. It won't be exact (there's no way to tell if you're at a particular f-stop since every lens is different), but I've found them to work pretty well. I just bought a cheap ebay one that I wouldn't recommend, but there are some very nice ones out there.

However, the 30mm 1.4 is a heavy beast even on my gripped OMD and isn't really built for manual focus. I usually find that the size and weight combined with fiddly manual focus at 1.4 makes it more trouble than it's worth.
  3. Bangonthedoortwice

Bangonthedoortwice Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2012
    Thx Jesse. Yes, It is a wonderful lens. A little big like you say, but i do like a bit of weight in my hands.

With a little help from another forum I was tipped off to buy and its due tomorrow. Not knowing the aperture is going to be great! :/

Looking forward to using the Nikon 30/50/ 85mm primes, I am hoping it is going to give similar results to the Olympus 75mm for a fraction of the price but just manual.