Sigma 30mm f1.4 coming in March?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Holoholo55, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  2. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    This is good news for a lot of m4/3s-ers! I would imagine this lens wouldn't break the bank either. I would assume that it would be a nice looking lens from wide open. And the size would fit nicely on most m4/3s cameras.

Personally, if you look at my avatar, you'll see that nice Olympus PM2 which worked as well with a 135mm adapted lens as it did going compact with the 14mm. No other m4/3s camera does that and feels right in my hand. The OMs and PL7 are too big, the GM-series too small; and I'm not having two bodies! So, a 265g lens might be a bit big for my GM1, whereas the 25 and 42 f1.7 lenses are not.

So, probably not for me, but for most on here, I would say it'll be a hit!! What will it be priced, around $400 maybe?

3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    $339. I'd like to see what Sigma could do if they designed a lens specifically for m43 (although I know it will never happen). That said, the fact that their m43 mount lenses are designed to cover a larger APS-C sensor just means that they are pretty sharp from corner to corner on m43 so I'm not complaining.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    $339 is a really good price. It's no $99 25/1.7, and obviously is a noticeably bigger and much heavier lens, but 30/1.4 differentiates it that much more from my 20/1.7...

I'll have to see how the used market pans out. $339 USD is probably $499 to Canadian retailers. :(

5. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    That seems like a solid bargain, putting 1.4 into more peoples reach

6. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    I've been considering (for years) the 25mm f1.4 but I've got the 20mm. The field of view is different, but not THAT different, and it is hard to justify it for the extra half stop. (I got the P25 1.7 for $99, and will probably be selling it. If I'm going to use up that much space in the bag, I think I might as well get the PL25.)

But the 30mm slots neatly between the 20mm and the 45mm, and the bonus half stop, for a very reasonable amount of money. Even with the size, I might find uses for it.

I'll be awaiting reviews / the first discounts.

7. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Hmm, you guys in the US are being asked $339 for this before tax? It's appeared on the Jessops website in the UK at £239 after tax.

That is a stunning price for a lens of this nature.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    3,5 K$ here.
    I've ordered it. Eta is mid March, hope they are spot on.
    Then I'll only use this during easter.

9. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I don't know that I agree with that. I think these samples look overly processed for lens samples from a color and tonality standpoint. If I'm mistaken and these JPEGs are straight out of their respective cameras or have little to no processing, I'm not really digging the color profile of the lens and it differs significantly from their other Art series lenses for both mirrorless cameras and DSLRs. I hope that's not the case.

11. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I can live with that. But I`m buying it (the lens), would be weird to doubt the pictures at this point? ;)

Btw, looks like it`s only the 3 last pictures that`s taken with Olympus. The rest Sony a6000.

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm still trying to decide if I want it. I loved the SIgma 30mm on my Canon and I would like a little more DOF control. But it's as big as my 75mm!

• Like Like x 1
  13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    ...but a little lighter and nearly half a stop faster ;-) I didn't find the 75mm to handle poorly on the GX7, do you? I just noticed it has a stepping AF motor unlike the other Sigma lenses - I wonder how that will be as far as AF speed/noise.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  14. Catch22nm

Catch22nm Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2015
    man these samples look pretty awesome.

This one looks great to me, love the out of focus areas and you know this will be killer at night. c_30_14_011s.

15. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    For this one the bokeh looks terrible - blurry, nervous, not creamy at all.

But we can't judge this lens by the A6000 photos; it'll be a totally different lens when used with m43.

[​IMG]

16. tkbslc

I think these are bad sample photos. Most are oddly framed and underexposed in poor/flat light. The ones that aren't in low light seem to be processed poorly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tkbslc

No the 75mm handles fine, but I don't use it as a "daily driver" like I would a normal prime. My 25mm handles superbly and is half the length/weight of the Sigma. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, but it is giving me serious pause. Especially since I don't feel constrained in terms of exposure. A 15mm f1.7 can be shot in less light than a 30mm f1.4 due to the minimum acceptable shutter speed.

Stepping motors are pretty common. Most mirrorless lenses have them. I wouldn't expect any issues.