1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30mm f/2.8 or Sigma 19mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JLphoto, Feb 5, 2013.

1. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    Hi all-
    I was wondering what people's opinions were on the two Sigma lenses. I am thinking of buying one of them, but can't decide on which. They are no longer available together for $200 or individually for $99, so I have to decide on one.
    Thanks

2. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Have you seen they have announced updates for these lenses, called ART versions, along with a 60mm prime too? Should be the old ones at least come down in price?

3. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    It depends how you'll use the lens. They are both pretty close to normal perspective, so different photographers use one or the other as their everyday lens. Personally, I like the somewhat wider view of the 19mm for its versatility. If you take a lot of portraits and want more face in your photos, you might prefer the 30mm.

I suggest you look at the EXIF data of photos you've shot with your zoom to see whether you favor the wide or close side of the normal perspective.

4. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    This is good advice. If you are pretty portrait-oriented, it might be nice to have an autofocus lens to offload some of the burden from your legacy 50mm. However, if you are content letting the Nikkor handle your portraiture, I'd suggest you go with the 19. For my money, I'd probably go with the 19; it's arguably more suitable single-prime walkaround lens. However, your kit lens is much slower at 30 (f4-ish) than it is at 19 (f5-ish), So you'll gain more in light gathering and subject isolation with the 30 then with the 19th.

You should also consider what future lenses you plan to buy for the system. For instance, if you buy the Olympus 45, that would really obsolete the Sigma 30, IMO. And the Panasonic 20 or one of the Oly 17s would crowd the Sigma 19 and be redundant.

I bought the 19 (received it today) for something like three reasons:

1) I wanted a lens wider than my PL25 and narrower than my P14, primarily for shooting on the street.

2) Similar to #1, I wanted to try a 35mm-equivalent lens. Specifically, because it informs my future potential purchase of the Oly 17mm f1.8 that is very tempting, but somewhat expensive. Arguably, I could've bought a used Olympus 17mm f2.8 pancake for $150 or less for an even closer comparison, but the Sigma 19 was even cheaper and focuses faster. And maybe I can convince myself that I don't actually need the expensive 17 since I own a very good 19. :)

3) I wanted to try it as part of it 2-lens kit with my O45 when a) I want to go light but, b) I don't need to have the tiniest kit (I'll use the 14 and 45 for that). It seems like a very natural pairing and, again, it will inform my future purchases as I continue to shape my kit.

4) Bonus: it focuses much closer than anything else I own, except for my Samyang fisheye. Sigma says the minimum focus distance is 8", but I think they are measuring from the sensor plane. It will focus on objects about 5" from the front of the lens. It's not macro, but it helps a lot.

Plus, I can't resist a good deal. ;) I like seeing what kind of results I can get from good, inexpensive kit, And now I will be able to give advice to new/potential micro 4/3 users among friends and family about building a good budget kit.

I don't know how much of that is relevant to you, because my kit is somewhat different than yours. Let me know if something didn't make sense... or if I have a funky spelling/autocorrect situation since I'm mostly dictating this to my phone. :D Hope this helped; good luck!

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro