1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30mm f/2.8 - Abe's of Maine

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by sprinke, Aug 2, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've bought from them before with no problems, a long time ago. But seeing their reviews on Yelp, and a VP from the company basically threatening the people who left negative reviews, it doesn't look good!

Abe's Of Maine - Edison, NJ

4. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    Wow, they really went downhill. I only ordered from them once, a lens on which they had the best price by at least $50, and had no issues. Maybe I just got lucky.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That was like my experience. Maybe it's like that most of the time, but a minority of the time it's really bad. If so, not worth the gamble IMO.

6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I had an issue with a lens, some 25 years age that was a bit of trouble to get satisfaction. So just never went back.

I just bought the Sigma 30mm for the E-p2. Excellent AF and IQ for a sub $200.00 lens. Wife used it last night, at birthday bash, under mixed lighting and defused flash, with great results.

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Sorry that people have had issues with Abe's. I purchased a Lumix waterproof from them about eight months ago, at a good price, with no problems. Guess I was lucky. I wasn't aware they were problematic.

Thanks to everyone for pointing this out. As always in this world, caveat emptor.

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I can't say much about Abe's, but I can say the Sigma is an amazing deal. Super sharp, fast focus, CHEAP!
    It does have a few second delay at start up though, something some people have a real problem with. I'm fine with it. The photo thread has some fine examples taken with it.

9. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Only problem I am having with the "30" is, that it wants to focus on the "bigger picture", behind smaller objects, especially close in. But it is quick and accurate.