Showcase Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN

jgmankos

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
Allow me to contribute the first sample of this lens to this forum :) Just got the lens last night and the weather is crummy today so it's not much special...but my girl was kind enough to sit still for me for a few seconds...
P4090353.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
Looks good. My lens comes in on Tuesday!

P.s. any comments about size, focus speed, material quality, etc. ?

jgmankos

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
Looks good. My lens comes in on Tuesday!

P.s. any comments about size, focus speed, material quality, etc. ?
It's almost the exact same size as the 75mm. Definitely feels cheaper though since it's all plastic. Focus seems ok but to be honest i haven't given it a thorough evaluation yet. It's very sharp wide open and as you can see...bokeh looks very smooth

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
Have not gotten to use my properly yet.

This is wide open f1.4. Very thin DOF...
26142201130_90f14642ab_b.jpg

Bokeh test 1 by Vincent Tsai, on Flickr

f2.0 Much better
26415698145_ba0c89e67d_b.jpg

Bokeh test 2 by Vincent Tsai, on Flickr

As you can see this lens can produce nice bokeh no problem. Even when stopped down, bokeh looks pleasing.

gr6825

Mu-43 Veteran
Is this essentially the same as the f/1.4 APS-C 30mm Sigma? Love that lens.

jgmankos

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
Here's 2 more...not really what I bought this lens for, but here's 2 pics from the stands at BB&T Ballpark in Charlotte last night. Both at f/5.6...with a sample 100% view.
P4140009.jpg
crop1.JPG
P4140011.jpg
Crop2.JPG

James23p

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
James
Very nice Sigma seems to have another winner! I just got the older Art f2.8 version and I am so impressed with the IQ my next lens will be the 6 0 Art lens.

Again very nice and congrats on the new lens. :dance2:

Jim

aphasiac

Mu-43 Regular
Great, thanks for the samples !

Did owners update the lens firmware yet? There was a new update released last week that corrects barrel distortion in the lens; wonder if these pics are using that.

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
Great, thanks for the samples !

Did owners update the lens firmware yet? There was a new update released last week that corrects barrel distortion in the lens; wonder if these pics are using that.

I did not know about it, so the shots I have were without the update. I did not really notice anything off though...

EDIT: I just went on SIGMA's website. Apparently the issue only applies to JPEG shooting.

aphasiac

Mu-43 Regular
EDIT: I just went on SIGMA's website. Apparently the issue only applies to JPEG shooting.

Just out of interest, are vignetting/distortion corrections being automatically applied to RAW files in Lightroom? You should get this message: "Built in lens profile applied" under the Lens Corrections tab when developing the pic.

This lens metadata is part of the m43 standard and all oly and panasonic lenses include it, but my Sigma ART 60mm 2.8 doesn't. I assumed that this is what the new lens firmware adds (with this metadata, distortion will be corrected automatically for JPEGs).

aphasiac

Mu-43 Regular
Btw, I'm following this thread closely as I quite want this lens to replace my Oly 45mm 1.8.

I don't really get on the 45mm focal length, it's just too tight for my style of portraits and also not useful for general shooting (so I don't usually take it out in my bag).

jgmankos

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
Just out of interest, are vignetting/distortion corrections being automatically applied to RAW files in Lightroom? You should get this message: "Built in lens profile applied" under the Lens Corrections tab when developing the pic.

This lens metadata is part of the m43 standard and all oly and panasonic lenses include it, but my Sigma ART 60mm 2.8 doesn't. I assumed that this is what the new lens firmware adds (with this metadata, distortion will be corrected automatically for JPEGs).

I don't see this message in Lightroom...although it's possible I haven't updated Lightroom since this profile was added so it didn't pick it up.

jgmankos

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
Btw, I'm following this thread closely as I quite want this lens to replace my Oly 45mm 1.8.

I don't really get on the 45mm focal length, it's just too tight for my style of portraits and also not useful for general shooting (so I don't usually take it out in my bag).

I have the O17, the O45, and O75. I do personally like the 45 focal length, but I agree it is a bit tight for some needs and dropping all the way down to the 17 is then going too wide. I bought this lens as a fill in between those two lengths, but also mainly for the f/1.4 aperture as I like a shallow DOF and also like shooting natural light as much as possible so sometimes every bit of light gathering helps. I think this lens is going to be a nice alternative to the PL25.

This lens looks good so far and if you don't mind the size I think this is a great addition to the m43 family of available lenses. Having choices is, of course, wonderful!!!

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
I will post more pics/impressions as I use it more. Looks good so far and it's a great price for a f1.4 lens.

So if you want a standard type lens for m4/3 we now have a 20mm, THREE 25mms (4 if you count Voigtlander), and two 30mm lenses to choose from. Surely there is something there for everyone?

aphasiac

Mu-43 Regular
So if you want a standard type lens for m4/3 we now have a 20mm, THREE 25mms (4 if you count Voigtlander), and two 30mm lenses to choose from. Surely there is something there for everyone?

make that FIVE:

Oly 25mm 1.8
Panasonic 25mm 1.7
Pana/Leica 25mm 1.4
Voigtlander 25mm 0.95
Mitakon 25mm 0.95

edit: There's also the Rokinon 21mm f/1.4 which comes in MFT mount.

Last edited:

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
The beauty of this lens to me is that it is barely more than half the cost of the 25mm 1.4 (new), and beats it in BG blur potential.

The only penalty is size, because it certainly seems sharp enough not to worry about.

make that FIVE:

Oly 25mm 1.8
Panasonic 25mm 1.7
Pana/Leica 25mm 1.4
Voigtlander 25mm 0.95
Mitakon 25mm 0.95

edit: There's also the Rokinon 21mm f/1.4 which comes in MFT mount.

Mitakon 24mm 1.7
Kowa 25mm 1.8
SLRmagic 25mm 0.95
Zonlai 25mm 1.8

Also there are three 30mm, 2 from Sigma and Panasonic 30mm macro.

If you have the 4/3 adapter, there is a 25mm pancake and the original 25mm 1.4.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom