1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30mm 2.8 lens $129

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by dbuckle, Sep 27, 2013.

1. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 2
  2. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Thanks for the heads up. I got my 19mm from Henry's and now the 30mm. I think it's a little strange that it's cheaper for me to buy from Canada and have shipped to the States but the 19mm transaction went perfect.

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I see there is a DN and DN A lens in the same 30mm length. What is the difference?

I guess one is plastic and one is metal from what I've seen.

4. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    A is for "Art" which is the revised version. So far as I know, the lenses are the same internally, the A is smoother and shinier.

5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Thanks...seems to be the only thing I could find too, but saw a diff thread in the native samples.

6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    So, what is the equivalent U.S. $ price? I assume if I buy one the credit card takes care of any conversions.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    But unless your CC has free foreign transactions, they will probably charge you about $4 for the conversion (typically 3%).

8. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    The conversion rate works in our favor right now. Here is how my transaction went on the 19mm:
    $129.99+$12.95(S&H)=$142.94 After conversion it was $138.80 and Amex charged me a little under $4

I think that it is possible you could get hit with a duty fee but I did not. I have read elsewhere that duty in things under $200 is unusual.

9. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I bought the Art version the other day for 199 (USD), I haven't had a chance of trying the EX version (not exactly a mount that's popular around here in stores). But compared to the 60 DN A , it doesn't feel as sharp and the focus doesn't seem to be spot on at times (not sure if that's the E-P3's problem or the lens, like if I focus on a guy's head it might focus a lil front or back of him even though the AF memo is on the guy's head).

Far as 30 EX vs 30 A , I think internally the optics are identical, except the A version it has been optimized/calibrated using their "New" A1 Measuring system:

So... in theory both lens are optically identical, you're just less likely to get a "lemon" by their standards with the Art series since the quality control is supposed to be higher from what that sounds like.

PS: In the lens sample section, I created a 30 DN A thread since only the EX existed, along with some shots I did yesterday and 100% crops of each. But from the sound of it, I don't think there's going to be a big diff between an EX or A lens internally.

10. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks to the OP for finding this. I bought the 30mm and went out and took some nice shots with it today. Very easy to manual focus compared to other focus by wire lenses (I don't always like auto because of the metering). I'll post some pics later!

11. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

The manual focussing on this lens never gets a mention for some reason. But I agree, it manual focuses better than any other m43 lens I've tried. It's a gem of a lens. I love mine.

12. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Any reason why it focuses so nicely?

13. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Here's the first real shot I took with the lens. Wow! This lens is very, very sharp!

[​IMG]

14. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Absolutely no idea :smile: This lens (and other Sigma lenses) raises several questions for me, like why is it half the price of most other m43 lenses? Most people agree it's not optically inferior. Maybe Sigma don't spend as much on marketing and the savings are passed on to the customer? I find it as good as the 20mm and 14mm. Perhaps it doesn't quite have the critical sharpness of the 20mm but I only see the difference at 100%. I actually prefer the out of focus rendering of the Sigma. All that combined with the superior manual focus feel makes it a great buy. At f2.8 I guess it's not the fastest lens out there which may make it more affordable.

15. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I think one reason it is so sharp is that it was designed for an APS-C size sensor. The same lens is available in Sony E-mount, so it is over designed for a 4/3 sensor size. The bonus for us is that it means less edge softness.

16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have the art 60mm DN. I wish it came in the EX form factor with the gripped focus ring. The art lenses are pretty to look at, but the moment you handle them they are covered in finger prints galore! I've never spent so much time wiping a lens constantly. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  17. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Hi!

This lens is a GREAT deal at this price. I have the 19mm and the 30mm--as well as many other lenses--and the 30mm has become one of my favorite lenses. It focuses quickly enough, renders beautifully, and has notably higher resolution than most of my other lenses. Also, the manual focusing on this is easier to use and more natural feeling than on, for example, the panasonic 14-45, 14-42, or 45-200.

Cheers!

18. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Yes, I am surprised at how good it is! I don't think I'd ever get the 19mm because it's smaller, slower, and probably not as good as the 20, but, if you're the type of person who has over 10 lenses and you only use the 19-20 FL once is a great while, then go for the Sigma!

I prefer the feel of the all metal MF lenses from 20-30 years ago. But, since I can't get the 28mm I want (Vivitar 28/2) I'll use this Sigma until I can!

19. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    I can't say enough good things about Henry's. I got a bad copy of this lens; they had me return it for exchange. The day after they received the bad lens they shipped a new one and refunded my return shipping.

20. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Here are a couple more from my first day of shooting with this $129 brand-new in box lens! Cons: I don't like how it rattles when it's turned off :(

10183184726_662063c238_b.

10183227813_316467f9d4_b.

10183229853_2b7654fb43_b.

10183180146_23fbdee73e_b.

10183010314_22917ec469_b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2