1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30mm 1.4 with Kipon Adapter... Aperture Control?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by anthonyw, Aug 17, 2012.

1. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Hi, I just ordered the Sigma 30mm (Canon mount) and Kipon EOS adapter. This adapter has a built in aperture control, but I'm wondering what am I supposed to do if when I get the lens, the aperture is not set fully open to 1.4 in the lens? Will I have to get a Canon camera just to adjust the aperture in the lens?

2. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    yes, pretty much.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My thinking is that wide open (at f/1.4) would be the default state for this lens, however, if it is NOT set at f/1.4 when it arrives, I suspect you would have to mount it on a Canon camera to adjust the aperture as you suggest. If this is the case, I'm sure that any decent camera store would allow you to borrow a camera to do this.

By the way, posting links to FS items in your signature is forbidden by the [thread=2733]site rules[/thread].

4. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Alright, thank you for the confirmation. I'll update my signature.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    So complicated! Glad I'm a Nikon user with the ability to adjust aperture control even with G lenses!

6. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    How will I know if the aperture is wide open?

7. It would be a fairly odd circumstance that an EF compatible lens wouldn't have the aperture fully open (When you look through the lens you shouldn't be able to see the aperture blades). I gather that if you've ordered this lens in this mount that you have a Canon EOS camera as well(?). The Sigma 30/1.4 was also available in a Four Thirds lens mount which would have given you working, electronic aperture control and autofocus on a Micro Four Thirds camera even with an adapter.

8. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
  9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    No, you will not be able to control the lens' aperture of the Canon EOS version of this lens. What Luckypenguin was referring to is the version of this same lens in the Four Thirds mount. With that lens you would be able to control the aperture and use autofocus with the appropriate Olympus or Panasonic Four Thirds to :43: adapter.

The Four Thirds version is quite a bit more difficult to find than most of the other versions of this lens that Sigma offers. Adorama has a used one for $350, which seems like a very good value.

Bear in mind that this lens was built for PDAF and has not been optimized for CDAF, so autofocus will be slow and imperfect on the (CDAF) :43: bodies. However having the option of slow AF along with electronic aperture control seems better than NO AF and adapter-only ("fake") aperture control for the Canon lens.

10. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
  11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Actually any of these adapters would work. I haven't used any of these, so I can't say which is better. If you thought you might acquire any weather sealed 4/3 lenses (and a weather sealed body) in the future, then you might want to choose the Olympus MMF-3.

The Four Thirds (a.k.a. "Olympus and Panasonic digital" or E-mount) version of the lens is the ONLY one you'll be able to have any electronic control of with a :43: body.

• Like Like x 1
  12. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if it's worth canceling the order for the current 30mm and Kipon adapter and get the Oly mount version instead....

Are lens exactly the same e.g. optically besides a different mount?

13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    By the time you add in the price of the adapter you're geting pretty close to the price of the PL 24/1.4.

All the Sigma 30/1.4's are the same optically, just different mounts.

Fred

14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    +1

If I really wanted the 30mm lens, then I'd definitely choose the 4/3 version over the EF version. I realize the 4/3 lens @ Adorama is used (versus the new Canon EF version you ordered), but it's also nearly $200 cheaper once you factor in the cost of the adapter.

I also agree with Fred that I'd much prefer to spend $550 on the PL25/1.4 than $450 on the 4/3 Sigma 30/1.4 plus adapter. The native lens is going to provide much better AF performance as well as being considerably smaller.

15. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    I did consider the PL25, but I did not see any video examples that I thought where very good. I really love the look that the Sigma 30mm gives from the video I've seen. I'm not really concerned about auto focus.

16. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    I just canceled the order for the lens and adapter, I'll order the four thirds version with the panasonic adapter. Thanks for the info guys.

17. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Any recommendations for a good ND fader that isn't too expensive?

18. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Seems like Genustech is well regarded.

19. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    it make me wonder, why you prefered to buy different mount, not the 4/3?

Hoya (japan/Phillipine)