1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30mm 1.4 or Panasonic 25mm summilux?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Sniksekk, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I found the Panasonic used close to where I live, but I have no idea how the lens is.
    What would you buy, and why?

The only pros I can think of top of my head is that I can have the Pana in my possession in a couple of days. :)

Is there anything else important to notice?
    Edit:
    Forgot this
    Pana 250 Euro
    sigma 350 Euro

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 25mm is smaller and lighter, and it is by no means a small and light prime in MFT terms. Also we haven't seen optical tests from the 30mm, it has huge barrel distortion when uncorrected so let's see what corner performance is like.

The bigger question is - 25mm or 30mm? What other lenses do you have sitting either side in focal length?

3. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Ive got O 17mm 1.8, O 45 1.8, and 12-40/40-150 pro.

I lack wide aperture taking photos at friends with bad lights. :)

4. wjiang

IMO your 17mm f/1.8 is probably an equally good choice for that purpose. 25mm is a little tight for group shots for instance, and f/1.4 isn't as much difference from f/1.8 as you might think. If you simply need something in between 17mm and 45mm that's good in low light, I'd say go for 25mm. If you had a 60mm or 75mm at the long end I'd go for the 30mm.

FYI I have the PL15, PL25 and O45, they make a good trio.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Like the OP, I'm also considering a wide prime, except I'm currently looking at the PL15 to complement an O25 and an O45. The thing is, I can get it for around 250 USD brand new.. But I'll be using it on Oly body with minimal pp, so not 100% sure. Thoughts?

6. wjiang

I use it on my E-M1, the only issue is the tendency to have somewhat purple halos around certain distant point light sources at night when shooting wide open. Have a look at the CameraLabs review of the 42.5mm f/1.7 to see what I mean. Being a wide angle its nowhere near as obvious simply because the blobs are smaller. It's not really a problem for me, and even when it is, I find it easy enough to remove in PP with a defringe mask.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    At that price I would not have any second thoughts are you sure that is the 1.4 version and not the 1.7? In Denmark (which is a very expensive country but still) the 1.4 costs more than USD 650.

8. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Yeah mate. The same as this one... Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH. H-X015K B&H

Edit: Please note that it's the PL15mm, not the PL25mm.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  9. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    The biggest difference is surely going to be the 5mm. You have a zoom that covers both, so I think you should look through your shots and see what your favorites are at. Then try setting the zoom to 25mm (actually I'd use 23mm for the PL25, that's where it is on my 12-40) and 30mm and treating it like a prime for a little while just to see how the angle of view is for you. Many people click with some angles and not others, and it isn't always the standard ones that work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have the P20 and I find it constantly too wide for me, so I'm looking for a one lens walkaround replacement. And I considered these same lenses plus the Mitakon 25.
    So I spent some time testing the 25 and 30 focal lengths with the zoom. I'm looking for my "natural" focal length, the one where you rise the camera and you have exactly what you have in mind. And I'm quite sure it is 25.

And after seeing this:

Compact Camera Meter

the Sigma is no longer an option anyway.

I would get the Pana if I were looking for a special lens, the O25 for small size, the Mitakon for speed/background blur.

One note about the Pana: according to DxO and a few reports the transmission is about 1.7.

11. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    $250 for pl 15 1.7??? That is beyond a steal. I'd pick that up in a heartbeat.

I have pl 15 1.7, pl 25 1.4 and pl 42.5 1.2
    And I'm in heaven

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
  13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I paid double that for my 15mm, and I feel like it was a good purchase. I'd buy it in a heartbeat at $250.

14. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Thanks fellas. Loud and clear. I'll get on to it today.

15. Moula

Moula Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Why 25, when you already have 17 and 45? If you must spend some money, 12 or 75 make more sense.

16. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    It's shorter than the Oly 12-50, which was (and still is) a kit lens option. So if Olympus feel it's not too big for the masses, this is nothing (ignore the hood).

Compact Camera Meter

I'm waiting to see m43 reviews of this lens; should be a great compliment to the 20/1.7.

17. tkbslc

Everyone thought the 12-50 was too big, too! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    I have it, and it's not even that big! Big in m43 standards, but we're only talking a few extra centimeters compared to any other lens.

The 12-40 2.8 is longer and signifiantly heavier than this new Sigma, yet I don't hear people complaining about the ergonomics of that lens very much either.

19. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have it and I complain about the size every day :)
    But it's a fixed 2.8 zoom not a 30mm prime. It's big for my expectations and alternatives. I prefer big lenses to be honest, they are better to use. But not to pack.

It's almost as big as the Nocticron that is faster and longer. And from first reviews (on APS-C) it is good but not exceptional, so I do not even see the justification for the extra size that may be worth for the PanaLeica or Pro or Nokton lenses. Personally I would pick the PL25 over this or even the O25.

20. tkbslc

"Big" is relative. The 12-50 is smaller than many DSLR kit lenses, but it is twice as long as the newer 14-42's and as large as several of the m4/3 telephotos. It's about the same size as a 40-150 or 45-175mm zoom. That makes it a pretty big lens for its type.

The 30mm f1.4 is no bigger than many DSLR f1.4 primes, and definitely lighter, but compared to the 25mm f1.7, 1.8, and 1.4, it is quite large. I was being a little dramatic when I called it "too" big. It's not too big. But it's size is definitely a negative worth mentioning, especially given the alternatives. And I think you really have to know why you would buy it over the 25mm f1.4.