Sigma 30 2.8...WOW

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bbarnett51, Aug 7, 2015.

1. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    I'm a long time canon guy and just bought an em10 for a travel camera. One of the lenses I bought was the Sigma 30mm 2.8 art. I wasn't expecting DSLR results and it was only $199 so what the heck.

Boy was I wrong! This lens is BRILLIANT! If the other lenses I'm buying over the next 2 months compare to this one, I'm going to be putting my Canon back in the closet. I'm thinking about the Sigma 19mm now. Anyone else shooting the Sigmas?
  2. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I sold my Canon after I didn't take it out of the closet for a year. I never thought I'd do that and didn't buy a m43 camera with that intention. I don't have the Sigma lenses, though I have seen many people express the same opinion of them that you have. Enjoy.
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    The Sigma lenses are great for the money. Can't really fault them, other than some people do not always get along with the focal lengths.
  4. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    I've only used the Sigma 30mm, but it is a great lens and a great value.

From the showcase thread on the 60mm, it appears to be even better. The 19mm I can take or leave, but many like it (to me the Panasonic 20mm has always been a better lens at that focal length).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you are that impressed with the 30mm, you should try some of the nicer Olympus and Panasonic brand lenses! This system has amazing lenses. :thumbsup:

(Former Canon guy myself)
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    actually no, if you buy the Sigma 60 over the next 2 months, you're going to want to sell you Canon:whistling:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    Yeps. Sigma 60mm is one of the best m43 lens (with reasonable price too). As my eyes sees it, it's sharper than the m.zuiko 45mm f1.8.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I agree, the Sigma 60mm is superb, and the Sigma 19mm is very good, and both of these lenses are serious bargains. Unfortunately, I don't think that the Sigma 30mm is a very useful focal length on Micro 4/3 - IMHO, it's too short to be a portrait lens, and to long and slow to be a normal lens. IMHO, the Olympus 25mm lens is much more useful, for only a little more money. To me, the 60mm Sigma, 25mm Olympus, and 14mm Panasonic is a great set of primes for very little money. Or, if cash is really tight, the Sigma 19mm can partner with the 60mm for a really inexpensive and fine 2 lens set.
  9. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Can't say enough good things about the Sigma 60/2.8.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The 30 and 19 are great for the money, but only decent compared to other m43 primes. The 60 is spectacular.

The other really good prime lenses are the O12, PL15, P20, PL25, any of the 42.5 or 45s, and the O75. There are others which are good, but those and the S60 are the cream of the crop.
  11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've owned the 30mm, it was great, but the 60mm is special. As soon as I saw the results I got with it I knew it was for me.
  12. tkbslc

I'd put the 25mm f1.8 and 60mm macro in there too. And the Samyang 7.5mm. And what about the PRO zooms?

Maybe it would be easier to list the ones that aren't amazing? That's a pretty short list.
  13. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    I would be more than happy with any of the Sigmas and have owned all three. I sold the 19 and 30 to help fund the purchase of the Olympus 12-40 which covers the same focal lengths. I still have the 60mm and can't see me parting with it any time soon. I also have the Panasonic 20mm which is another great lens and wouldn't part with that either.
  14. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    I have the Sigma 19 2.8 and absolutely love it, it gets most use on my E-M1. I was just about to buy the Oly 25 1.8 when I ran into it in a local store..... The 50mm of the 25 are a bit close, but I thought I can live with it. Turns out I don't have to, gave the Sigma a try when I saw it, especially when they told me the price...... No regrets, a great lens. So far, I didn't miss the one f-stop, the 5 axis IS helps a lot in low light.
    For the zooms - I switch from Canon to 4/3 for a few reasons, but one main reason is size and weight. To mount bulky zooms on my E-M1 defeats the purpose, but this is just me personal opinion. I use a number of small primes on these small bodies, all packed in a Domke half the size of my old bag.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    I would agree that the 60mm is quite probably the best of the bunch, but the 30mm is also very good. I've read the the 19mm is a bit less compelling - but for the price, it's still a very decent lens. So if you like the 30mm, you'll adore the 60mm - but maybe not the 19mm to the same extend.

Contrary to what as been said before, I actually find the 30mm quite useful for street photography - mostly environmental portraiture. It's sharp and contrasty - in fact, it behaves much like a slightly longer version of the 20mm f/1.7 when it comes to drawing. It's more neutral than the 17mm f/1.8 and the 45mm f/1.8 - both brilliant lenses with character, but the 17mm is a bit temperamental, especially in the corners, and with the 45mm, you have to focus very precisely to really get what it is capable of - which is not always easy if you have to shoot fast (you can of course close the aperture down beforehand, I just don't like doing that - what am I shooting this lens for if I prevent bokeh?).

Bottom line? Well, if you're into that kind of thing (street portraiture), the 30mm actually hits a sweet spot. I've experienced this elsewhere, too, btw. - the Nikon 60mm f/2.8G macro lens is a fantastic lens for the same kind of work on FF; of course, it comes in a much bigger package ...

16. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You're right about the 30mm, I just shoot more towards the 17mm end of things and don't tend to shoot street portraits. But the 30mm gives you very sharp images even at f2.8 and has that little bit of reach so you don't have to get uncomfortably close. It's also the smallest of the bunch.
  17. tkbslc

30mm is not really that odd of a focal length. Think how many 55-58mm manual primes are out there. 30mm on m43 is pretty much the same thing. It's a long normal.

30mm f2.8 has slightly more potential for bg blur than 17mm f1.8. So it's not as bad as it sounds.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    I guess the focal lengths are because they were first designed for APC sensors, i.e. as 28/50/90 equivalents, which works in favour of the S60 on m43, not so much the other two.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tkbslc

17/27/67 would have worked better on both mounts. Gives approx. 25/40/100 on Sony and 35/55/135 on m43.
  20. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    I think Sigma decided on those focal lenghts a long time ago for their own DP series - except for the 60mm. I think they then simplified existing designs and wound up with the APS-C/mFT combo. The 50mm for the DPs is designed as a "macro" lens (which it is not, but it has quite impressive close-up capabilities) - something the 60mm is clearly not optimised for. 28/45/90 aren't that counter-intuitive if you're coming from a APS-C perspective, and 38/60/120 are very usable for mFT if it's an afterthought. There are similar schemes from other manufacturers - Samyang (Bower etc.) have a couple of lenses designed for APS-C they also sell with mFT mounts ...

• Agree Agree x 1