Sigma 30 & 19mm lenses for M/43 available at B&H

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Ray Sachs, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
  2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Be aware these links actually have the Sony E-mount versions appearing earlier in the list than the m43 versions. In fact only one lens on the search page which you have to scroll to is m43. The rest of the page is Sony and Canon. It might confuse someone into buying the wrong lens. You might want to link directly to the m43 versions or link to a better sorted or filtered list.

For example, filtered for only m43 mount:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...3rd+Micro&ci=5553&N=4232860399+176+4292347245

3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    B&H has both the Sigma 19 & 30mm lenses listed for the M4/3 cameras for $199 in stock now, but the 30mm lens does not come with a hood. Anyone have these lenses and could enlighten me some on how they are. They seem to be the older style lenses and not the newer style. Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN and 30mm f/2.8 EX DN for Micro Four B&H

4. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    My 30mm came with a hood. I had the old version briefly before I returned it as soon as Sigma announced the new version. The improvements appear to be in the electronics and mechanics. The camera powers-up much quicker with the new version, and the infamous rattle is gone. Same great image quality, same low price, looks slick as heck in silver.

Attached Files:

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That does look nice! I'm thinking about selling my 20mm and picking up the 19mm and forthcoming 60mm lenses. I love the 20mm, but don't use it a ton anymore but want to keep something in that focal range.

6. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    That sure does look nice!

7. thchen

thchen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2012
    The correct link for the 19mm is here.

Thinking about ditching the Panny 14mm for this. It's just too wide, and this is far cheaper (low far slower) than the 20mm. pxpaulx, how much do you want for the 20mm?

in fact, can anyone make some comparisons between the 2?

8. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Has anyone done a sharpness test between the 20mm @f2.8 versus the 19mm at the same f?

9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    You're right - my apologies. I'd glanced at the ad and saw there were both Sony and m43, but thought it was a couple of each. If I'd realized there was just one m43, I'd have pulled that one out separately.

-Ray

10. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    I have to take back what I said about the rattle being resolved. It is still present, but more of a feint clunk than a rattle. Perhaps the sound altering properties of the metal case versus the plastic.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
  12. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    so can anyone tell why I'd want to pay twice as much for a new version of the same slow F/2.8 lens that is not even a pancake? Just a sleek look, or is there an improved sharpness/af? If there is something special there, I don't mind paying more, but, the old 19 and 30 had been sold for $199 together.

13. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    I hope someone posts a comparison between the old and new lenses to see exactly what Sigma is charging us extra for.

All I can say is that I'm extremely happy with the AF and sharpness with the new model.

14. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Well considering the older versions were $199 when they first came out so its no difference just a new outer shell from what I've read and possibly fixed the slow start up that the old ones have and the ability to get updates for the lenses. If you can still find the older ones for cheap I'd say go for it.

15. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    My new style 30 just came in the mail today. I will put it through its paces this afternoon and tomorrow and give a report.

First impressions: startup and focus speed is comparable to my Panny and Oly lenses, so startup issue is solved for sure.

Came with a nice bayonet-mount hood and a fancy pinch cap that works with or without hood. It also came with a very nice, pocketable case (not a pouch).

Lens feels solid and mounts securely to camera.

So far, so good. Pictures to come later.

P

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

16. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Today I'm going to flea market and will take lens with me, full test and review to come.

If interested, two quick snaps I took outside my house when lens arrived.

Car photo to show general sharpness and color rendition, flowers (I know) for bokeh. Straight out of camera except for crop on car and resize for forum.

P.

Attached Files: