Sigma 19mm vs Lumix 20mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jonlong, Oct 26, 2013.

1. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    For those of you that have used both:

How does the Sigma 19mm f2.8 compare with the Lumix 20mm f1.7 in terms of image quality and sharpness?
  2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    They're quite close, but the 20mm is 1.5 F-stops faster, and also smaller and lighter.
  3. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    The 19mm I tried had faster AF speed than my 20mm (so does my 30mm Sigma for that matter).
  4. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    How does either of those prime lenses compare to the kit 14-42 in terms of sharpness and image quality?
  5. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    It own the 20mm but neither of the sigma lenses. From what I have seen and heard across the Net; the sigma 19mm has image quality that is very close to the 20mm. I don't think there is much doubt that the sigmas lenses have better IQ than the 14-42mm kit lenses.

Sigma 19mm Pros:
    - Cheaper
    - Fast Auto Focus

Pana 20mm Pros:
    - Much smaller
    - Faster/Larger Aperture (meaning both shallower depth of field and better low light results are possible)

In the UK the sigmas are priced at £180 ish compared to the original 20mm at £250 ish. In this comparison I find it hard to recommend the sigma unless super fast AF is something you really need. However the older versions of the sigma lenses (exactly the same lens, just looks different) can be found occasionally for £100 ish. This makes the value of the sigma far greater.
  6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Panasonic 20mm is:
    -slightly sharper and more contrast
    -no AFC, slower focusing
    -cooler colors
    -has bad CA that Panasonic cameras fix well in JPEG, but fixing it in RAW is more work and sometimes the results don't match in camera fixes

Sigma 19mm is:
    -Nice warm colors
    -Does AFC and focus a bit faster
    -not as bright

Both are great lenses, but IMO the Sigma is better except for the size factor.
  7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    In my experience the image quality is better and sharper with both. And they will both do better in low light.
  8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    In the U.S. we typically see used copies of the 20mm Panny selling for $250-300, while both Sigmas tend to sell for $100-130 second hand, so the Sigmas can be a very nice budget alternative at those prices.
  9. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I had the 20 and it was very good. I've not had the 19 and never will because the 20 isn't that much more expensive. I do have the 30, however, and I think it's amazing!
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I like Sigma lenses, they give great value for dollars. The 20mm, however, is an even better value. It's small, sharp and has excellent IQ. For the small price difference I would take the 20mm every time. :cool:
  11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    So would I, if it focused faster and didn't band at high ISOs on Olympus bodies like my E-PL5
  12. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I guess if you are comparing retail prices. However on the used market the 20 goes for $250-300 while the 19 goes for $100-130.
  13. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    I picked up the Sigma a couple months back at Henry's (in Canada) when they were blowing out the ver.1 of the lens. It was $119 brand new and a bit of a no brainer. I've certainly had no complaints with it. Here is a shot from a walk with the dogs...

14. tbert

tbert New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2012
    Well, since the price difference is about $125, and image quality is pretty comparable between the two lenses, I think I'll consider the Sigma first to see how I like it on my OMD. thanks for the information.