Sigma 19mm or Olympus 17mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by golftango, Dec 16, 2012.

1. golftango

golftango Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2012
    I am pondering wether to get the Sigma 19mm f2.8, which is on sale for $149 right now, or the Olympus 17mm f2.8, which is available at Cameta for $189 refurbished. :confused: Can anyoone offer advice in either direction? $189 for the Olympus is all I have to spend, so please don't recommend something more expensive. Thanks in advance :smile:

2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

What camera would you be using it on?

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have not used the Oly 17mm, but I have used the Sigma 19mm on my NEX. It looks pretty good compared to the Sony native glass, but mine seems to have quite a bit of CA and the corners are so-so. Guessing it would perform better in the corners on the 4/3 sensor.

5. DPitts

DPitts Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh NC
    Doug Pitts
    on my OMD...I had the Oly 17 2.8...it was a bit soft...got the panny 14 for now (very nice)...and will probably look at the new Oly 17 coming out.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I have the 17mm permanently on my e-P1 and it takes gorgeous photos, wherever the light is shining. I wouldn't be without it.

I have the Sigma's brother : the 30mm F2.8 and it has very fast focus and is otherwise fine.

I don't have the 19mm. I probably never will ... I'm sure its fine but given the choice of 17mm or 19mm knowing what I know the 17mm (despite slowish focus) wins.
    I would really love to try both lenses and the 20mm and the new 17mm all at the same time ... so BUY ALL FOUR and do us a proper test, right?

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    17/2.8 is small and stylish. 19/2.8 is sharper and AFs faster, but is also larger. I'm not a fan of the 17/2.8 myself, but if you have a small body (e.g. a Pen) and want a kit that will fit in your pocket, it might make sense.

8. golftango

golftango Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I will be using it on an EPL-2.

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The nice thing about the Sigma is that it is reportedly sharp even when used wide open at f/2.8. Somehow, I doubt any Olympus camera will be applying any distortion or CA correction to the Sigma. But, being larger than the Oly 17mm pancake, it might not need it as much. It should be fine on the E-PL2.

10. mizx

mizx Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Somerset, UK
    Jon
    It certainly seems to be.

The price made it a no-brainer for me to pick up as a stopgap to the PL 25mm or/and the Oly 17mm 1.8 during the next year. Being my first prime I have nothing to compare it to other than a kit lens and tele, but I've been impressed so far; quick AF, it feels of good quality, the focus ring is smooth, and the handling decent on my G3.

11. golftango

golftango Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2012
    Thank you, everybody for your input. I pulled the trigger on the Sigma. Sharpness wins out over compactness. My pocket is not big enough for the EPL-2 body,no matter what lens is on it! I will let you know how it works out.

12. Mandoo

Mandoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Essex, UK
    I pulled the trigger on the Sigma at the weekend and it arrived today. First impressions are that its great value for money.
    I picked it up for £99 and I've only had one quick go with it when I took the dog for a walk, but it feels really nice on my G2 and it seems pretty sharp and quick to focus.
    So far its exactly what I have been looking for in a budget prime. I can't wait to give it some proper usage. :)

13. leonkoum

leonkoum New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2013
    Ι love mine sigma 19mm.
    Its cheap and sharp.
    Look this photos:
    f/2.8
    [​IMG]

f/4
    [​IMG]