Sigma 19mm or 30mm?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by elandel, May 21, 2013.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all,

I have a little problem. I just bought a 15mm lens Bodycap and now want to get a Sigma prime because very affordable. Haven't shot with the 15mm yet but just wondering: which one to get as I already have the 15mm even if it is not top notch IQ?

I do landscapes and church interiors and general travel photography as I'm not a pro but an amateur.

For portraits (that I don't do much) I have my D700 and Nikon 85mm 1.8 on the way.

Could you please help on decision?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Do you have the kit lens? If so try shooting at both FLs. I used to have the DA 40 on my Pentax K7 and that was the same effective FL as the 30. It was light and sharp but it just was a weird FL for me.

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes I have the kit lens and the 14-150. Just wanted a prime for low-light and better IQ, maybe.

4. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    The 15 mm body cap lens will not get you sharpness, compared to your kit lens, and it is a fixed f8 so it won't get you speed or low light capability either. I own the 19 Sigma and will probably sell it with an older body when the time comes. It is a good sharp lens though not terribly good in low light, but better than the kit lens. I recently bought the 17 1.8 and that is my go to lens for most things now

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    You are right but the 17 is much more expensive. Why is the 19 not so good in low light? For the 2.8 aperture? Or are there other reasons? Which would be better focal lenghts: 19 or 30?

6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Analyse the photos from your kit lens with Exifplot or any other program. That will tell you if you tend to shoot wider (14 to 22) or longer (25-35).

I'm a church interior shooter too, and maybe you should consider either:

a) the 9-18, together with a mini-tripod (expensive, but excellent and flexible), or
    b) the P20 (slow focus doesn't matter here), or
    c) the Oly 17 1.8 (expensive, but a great allrounder), or
    d) the Oly 12 (expensive)

The Sigma 30 is a good lens, but too long for churches. If you get the 19, buy a cheap table-top tripod, too.

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

The 9-18 is next on my list but too expensive for now. I was just wondering if having the 15 the 14 (kit lens and 14-150)
    would make the 19 too close to the focal lengths I already have, but if IQ is a lot better than the kit lens then it would be a better option for landscapes and interiors.

8. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i suggest you take your camera out with the kit lens and spend a day or two shooting only at 19mm, then do the same on another day with similar subjects at 30mm. chances are good you'll discover you have a preference for either 19mm or 30mm, either while you're framing in the field or afterward when you view the pics.

9. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    The other thing it isn't is auto focusing (I pretty much rely on hyperfocal distance for focusing). And as mentioned, it's a fixed f8. And not sharp. But for sunny days walking around, its really fun. For anything more serious, or low light, or you might find yourself wanting a lens that gives you some more options. As suggested, a good way to test it is walk around for a while with your kit lens at 19mm and then again at 30.

My vote would be for the 19mm- but again, you may like the closer feel you get with the 30mm. I think these lenses are both great deals. I think the only reason I stopped using my 30mm so much is that I picked up the 45mm 1.8. And that lens is phenomenal.

So I suppose my advise is... find out which focal length you enjoy shooting with more. Keep in mind that you'll get better images than your kit lens will provide, and more control over DoF. They are both a good way to go.

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks. That's what I wanted to know: if Sigma's 19mm is a noticeable leap in IQ related to the kit len's 19mm. It seems so.

I think I'll go for the 19mm because everyone is talking about the Olympus 45mm as a superb lens and some time in the future I'll get it.