1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SIGMA 19mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RussellOlaguer, Mar 21, 2012.

1. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Hello fellow m4/3 users.

Tried to search here about this lens but I can't find.
    Please direct me if there is already existing thread.

I know most of you here already have the 20mm f1.7 and the 25mm f1.4 and use those glasses as your standard lens.

But I'm just curious about the SIGMA 19mm f2.8.

What can you say about this lens?

For those who are in a budget and want to get standard lens, is this lens worth buying?

Which is better in terms of image quality and AF speed, this lens or the 17mm f2.8?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day! :smile:

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I don't think it's been released yet; at least I haven't read a report from anyone who's had one. The other Sigma (30mm?) is out, and it seems pretty good, but it's an odd FL.

IMO the 19mm's going to be a hard sell, going up against the very good, very small, and significantly faster 20mm Panny. I think Sigma just slapped an m43 mount on a lens designed for the NEX to see if they can make a few bucks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    At $250, people will probably opt for a used 20mm for a little bit more. However, if this price goes down to $170-200, it is going to be a good alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    This sounds accurate to me. Although I don't fault them...the most options, the better imo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    The MSRP for the 19mm and 30mm (based on UK pricing) are about the same so I would expect the street price to be the close at around $199.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I believe the US price is $199 for the 30 and $249 for the 19. Of course, the cheaper, the better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    It was listed on the B&H website at $199 and pre-orders being accepted when I ordered my Sigma 30mm f2.8 which is now shipping. Checking the B&H website now, they have removed the pre-order functionality - looks like the 19mm release is being delayed.

If its performance is as good as the 30mm that I reviewed, than the 19mm can certainly be a viable alternative to the Panasonic 20mm and 25mm, especially given its low price.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vertex Ninja

Vertex Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Hello all, first post here.

I just purchased the 19mm 2.8 for $199.99 and I'll also be getting the 30mm. The 19mm was supposed to be delivered today but I missed the UPS man... bummer! My reasons for getting these two lenses are probably way different than most, but I thought I'd share anyway.

I'm mainly a medium and large format film shooter, but my wife needed a new camera. She lost her little Fuji and she dropped and cracked my K10D. I decided rather than getting the $400 20mm, she'd be better served by these 2 cheaper primes. The're supposed to be very good optically and have extremely fast and silent auto-focus. The focal lengths are fine by me, similar to my Pentax 43mm limited on film and digital. Anyway, 35-60ish mm has never really been about bokehlicious portraits and most fast 50s aren't very good unless stopped down. 2.8 is better than the kit lens and as good or better than most zooms people rave about. Throw cropping for prints(3:2 vs 4:3) into the mix and focal length comparisons become less black and white. Maybe shooting larger formats has made me less critical of "odd" focal lengths? I dunno... Anyway, for $200 what's not to like?

• Like Like x 3
  9. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    You'll have to post some images taken with the 19mm, as I'm keen on seeing what it's like. Maybe even start the native lens image archve for sigma lenses.:wink:

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    gotta find more space for it in my bag, heh.

11. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Pictures or it didn't happen lol.

12. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    Last night I found a site with some sample images taken with the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 on m4/3. They were sharp across the frame and showed excellent, smooth bokeh, although obviously the degree of OOF that can be achieved is limited by the f/2.8 maximum aperture. Especially when compared with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 with its stop and a half faster maximum aperture.

I just wish I could recall the site's URL, and that I hadn't cleared out my browser's history file this morning. :rolleyes:

13. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I was initially dissing these sigma lenses because they were designed for the NEX and "adapted" to the m43 mount. Looking at the few samples it seems like this has actually become a benefit for m43 cameras; sharper pictures corner-to-corner compared to NEX cameras. Smaller sensor area and all I guess.

14. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Absolutely. It is easy to criticise Sigma for releasing lenses designed for APS-C in m4/3 mount, but what matters is how they perform.

The 19mm and 30mm lenses appear optically identical to those used in the Sigma DP1M and DP2M cameras which use the "45 MP" Foveon sensor. That means they are likely to be very good indeed.

15. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    For those interested B&H now has them in stock & is shipping.

The 19mm comes with a lens hood, unlike the 30mm that I purchased & reviewed which does not. Both are priced the same at $199.

The Sigma Japan website has good details about both lenses including details of the optical construction as well as MTF charts. Looking at the MTF charts the 19mm looks like an excellent performer across the sensor plane with the 30mm being slightly better towards the edges.

Sigma Japan 19mm page:
    19mm F2.8 EX DN HSM - SIGMA CORPORATION

Sigma Japan 30mm page:
    30mm F2.8 EX DN HSM - SIGMA CORPORATION

• Like Like x 2
  16. Vertex Ninja

Mar 29, 2012
    MTFs look good. They'll both be pretty good across the frame on 4/3.

17. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    What this the site ?

Google Translate

18. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Yes, that's the one! Well worth a look.

Thank you, Rich! :2thumbs:

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm curious how much the Sigma 19 angle of view will differ from the Panasonic 20. Not all 19mm lenses are really 19mm exactly. If the Sigma is noticeably wider than the Pana 20, longer than my Pana 14, and faster to focus than the Pana 20, I will be all over it.

20. Vertex Ninja

Mar 29, 2012
    You can also download full resolution nex-7 images from flickr. Different system and sensor size though, so I'll wait to pass judgement.

Sigma 19mm f/2.8 on the NEX-7 - a set on Flickr

Mine came today, but Olympus hasn't shipped the e-pm1 yet and I have no way of testing it. :frown: