1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DN for astro-photography

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by biz91, Nov 12, 2015.

1. biz91

biz91 New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2015
    Italy
    Hi all, I'd love to get some good shots of the stars with my EM-10, but my kit Zuiko 14-42mm can't easy focus to infinity and it's too slow.
    I'm searching for a cheap alternative to the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, so I'm looking for the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DN.

My question is ...there is a way to simply focus to infinity in the night like the Panasonic lens?
    Does anyone have sample images of a night sky shoot with this lens?

Any advice is appreciated!
    Thanks a lot for your help

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Manual focus using magnification. Even the 14-42 should be able to do this. You're right f/3.5 is probably too slow though, f/2.8 is better but not great unless you're stacking.

3. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Starry sky shots is a pretty broad category. But you won't know what really interests you until you start doing this.

Both aperture & FL of the 19mm f2.8 may become limiting eventually. You can certainly do things like star trails, aurora & very high iso stacking w/ the 19mm f2.8. Starry landscapes w/ moon light or light painting are also possible.

Big landscapes w/ milkyway are probably not going to be satisfactory w/ this lens. A wider f2 or faster would be better. But the best work I've seen has come from f1.4 lenses & so far we don't have any sharp WA lenses that fast.

Still great work is being done w/ f2.8 lenses on hi end DSLRs & mirrorless that have exceptional hi ISO performance.

You might want to start w/ your f3.5 & try easier shots to learn technique. For starry night shots post processing technique is at least as important as lens quality & camera performance. Always shot RAW for this kind of work.

BTW, the Pana 20mm has often been reported to produce noise banding w/ hi iso/long exposures. The Oly 17mm, 12mm & Pana 15mm would be better but more expensive choices.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Basically shooting astro is a race against both the light and the earth's rotation. Wide helps combat the earth's rotation, fast aperture helps gather enough light with a shorter shutter speed.

Now comparing the 14mm f3.5 end of your zoom and the 19mm f2.8 on the Sigma, I'd expect a near wash. You are gaining <2/3 a stop of aperture, but you are using a narrower lens. You gain a little exposure time with f2.8, but lose a little exposure time before earth rotation shows by dropping to 19mm.

5. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    Don't forget the Rokinon 7.5. It's wide and cheap; although it's not fast, it's wide and cheap. All joking aside, I've got some decent Milky Way shots with it:
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/69005/

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    If you follow the 500 rule you get 33 seconds with the Rokinon and 13s with the Sigma. Considering the half stop speed difference the Rokinon has a big advantage, even stopped down a little. And I've read only good reviews of this lens.

7. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    True, very broad. If you want still stars, you'll want both wider and faster (Sam/Rok 12mm f2?). If you are fine with star trails, you'll probably still want a wider lens.

8. biz91

biz91 New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2015
    Italy
    Thanks for the replies!
    Now I'm looking for a wider and faster lens as listed above