Sigma 19mm Black and White

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Lawrence A., Apr 7, 2013.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I know I'm a couple of years late to the party, but ever since selling my 20mm to get the PL 25mm, I've been thinking of reacquiring a wider prime. The original Oly. 17mm seemed expensive to me, and while I liked it well enough when I had it (I sold it with my E-P1 to finance the purchase of the E-P2), it was not a lens I "bonded" with. The 20 seemed too close to my 25, though it is a lens I remain very fond of, and the new Olympus 17 f1.8 is outside the budget right now. That left the Sigma, which, for $99, I figured I'd try, hoping it was wide enough. For $20 more than Olympus is asking for their lens hood for the new 17mm, and including a hood and a very nice pouch, it was hard to go wrong. I'm glad I bought it, and not just for the price; I really like the way the lens renders. I've always had a soft spot for lenses that resolve lots of detail without being really contrasty, and this lens fits that bill.

It doesn't get as much "airtime" as other lenses in the same relative focal length, so I thought I'd add a b&w thread to the very useful 19mm image thread already up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    [​IMG]

I really like this lens. Excellent resolution and color, and a very nice way of rendering tonal values. This shot, however, was processed to death in B&W Effects to separate the purple iris from the green leaves.

3. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    More like processed to life, Lawrence. Beautiful work.