1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 19mm 2.8 vs Pany 14mm 2.5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kriskerry91, Sep 9, 2014.

1. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

Some of you may of noticed ive posted a few times regarding street lenses and some versus between lenses.
    Well ive finally narrowed it down to 2 lenses and need your input.

Now putting aside the different focal lengths, which of the following two lenses performs the best in regards to sharpness, CA, colour reproduction, focus speeds etc.

-Sigma 19mm f2.8 Art
    -Pany 14mm f2.5 pancake

Ive found them both for roughly £130 new, so no orice difference.

Please note that whichever is the winner will be used on an Oly EM-10.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    19 is way sharper. Comes with hood and case. But size is larger that 17.

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am not questioning your opinion, but was wondering what you were basing it upon. I have heard many pros and cons on both lenses, but have drawn no conclusions as I have not shot with the 19, and only minimally shot with the 14.

Thanks,

--Ken

4. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    No problem. Go to any of the lens review sites and you should be able to do a comparison. I'm going on that I have the 19mm and the 30mm Sigma that replaced the 14. Build on the 14 was great. I found you had to stop down so much to correct for the vignetting. Sharp in center but edges are suspect. Could just be personal preference for rendering but the 14 just didn't seem as sharp. Some of the other members here will chime in soon I'm sure, you'll get some varied opinions. :)

here's a comparison of the 20mm vs 19 . . . gives you an idea of the 19 mm at least:
    http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2013/02/sigma-19mm-f28-ex-dn.html

• Like Like x 1
  5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    used both, sold both, I like the 19 FL much better than 14 so I'm recommending the Sigma, but neither is close to great. the 14 is sharp, light, and fast but the purple fringing is too bad and colour rendering ins't my favourite; the 19 is light and focuses fast too but this is the lens that always needs some sharpening and CA correction in post IMO. the Sigma colour is warmer

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Sigma is better in all your categories. The 14mm trumps in certain other situations, but so long as those are your priority, get the 19mm.
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Either will do the job, just pick the focal length that works best for you. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Ok, I'll nibble on your hook

why have you compared such different lenses? Is it because of similar aperture?

The field of view (like is it wide / is it normal / is it tele) of these lenses is quite different. A more natural comparison would be between the sigma 19mm and the Pany 20m ... of those two I'd pick the Pany 20mm second hand for about $250 as the f1.7 on it is very nice for shallow renderings (and I mean that at "normal shooting" distances, not shots of your tea-cup at 15cm ...) For instance:
    15009410638_d0370e5e50_b.

click to load a larger version to make the DoF fall off into the distance more obvious. In the same place the f2.8 of the Sigma would not render the distance as softly.

Anyway, if you are wondering about the aperture being similar in the ways of DoF its as similar as you may think. DoF is related to the size of the aperture in mm not the F-Stop (which is intended as a good guide for exposure equivalence).

If you have a PC (with a mouse, rather than a tablet) have a look at this older page of mine to see DoF changes related to diameter
    http://home.people.net.au/~cjeastwd/photography/dofCompare.html

Personally I'd go for both the 20mm and the 14mm as they do different things really well.

PS: if you can tell them apart in terms of sharpness and CA you are pixel peeping too much. In terms of focus speed, the Panasonic 14mm will win because it has inner element focusing and is shorter focal length, therefore less adjustment is required to focus. Its when you have a 300mm lens that focuses fast that you go WOW

9. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Look in the Sample Images section of this site, to get an idea of the images produced by the two lenses. Spoiler: both lenses can produce nice images. I use my 19mm more than my 14mm because the more-normal focal length is more often the view I want, but I'm not a street photographer.

10. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    You're discounting FOV difference from deciding which to get, but FOV should be the major reason for your decision, if photography is your goal, not gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. kriskerry91

Ok guys so some mixed opinions there which is nice to see.
    The reason i chose these two lenses is because;
    1) they are the same price
    2) the 14mm is the nost recommended for fast focus and overall IQ
    3) The sigma is similar to the pany 20mm but quicker focusing. (On my em10)

In regards to FoV, i currently shoot with a 12-50. Most of my street shots are at the 12mm side then maybe bridging to the 20mm.
    I use to shoot with the Fuji x100 which as you know has a 35mm eq lens, which was great for street shooting.

Therefore i can shoot with either sides of the FoV and work around my lens, without causing havok!

Hopefully that clears things up in regards to FoV?

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You know looking at your kit, I'd say go with the 17mm 2.8 instead! It would compliment your Olympus lens arsenal nicely! :wink: :smile:

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The different focal length and FOV of the two lenses is a FAR more important criteria than the ones that the OP is attempting to distinguish these two lenses from one-another.

14. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I like the 14mm's fov very much. Wide but not too so.
    It focuses pretty quick. Sharpness is more than adequate.
    But the size is the best thing. Not much thicker than a dslr lens cap.
    Of course the Sigma is no giant - but it all comes down to the little things. ( ;
    6741283209_de3eb69e0a_z.
    kit petite
    by mnhoj, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  15. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Another point to consider is hyperfocal distance prefocusing for street shooting if 14mm is comfortable to you. The 14mm can be prefocused from 3 feet to infinity at f8 by aiming from your head to your feet. For 19mm, you only get 4 to 15 feet focus coverage, unless you can judge to focus at 10 feet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  16. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you shoot JPGs with the E-M10 it will correct for CA and purple fringing. I know the in camera correction of my E-M1 works better with the 14/2.5 than most image processing SW.

17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Unless you shoot raw.

18. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Sorry, but I just can't put that difference aside. They're completely different lenses. To me, if you're trying to decide between these two lenses (and only these two lenses) the choice ought to be 100% based on FL. Which one do you prefer to shoot?

19. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    That's a handy tip about aiming the 14mm lens at your feet. The hyperfocal distance for a 19mm lens is a bit farther away. If you focus the 19mm lens, at f/8, on a subject 10 feet away, you'll have focus from 5 feet to infinity.

• Like Like x 1
  20. kriskerry91

I understabd that it is confusing, ive used both focal lengths and can happily use either.

I think the 14mm is on the cards mainly due to focus speed and general size.

I appreciate all the replies, ive read them all and took them into consideration.

It was a odd question knowing the difference in focal lengths.