Sigma 19mm 2.8 EX DN -Is this dud copy ?

rich00

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi all,

I've had my lens for about 5 days and I'm not quite sure I got a good copy. Comparing it to my kit lens it seems to be of lesser quality.

Here is a shot at f5 @ 1/60 ISO200. I would expect everything to be in focus. It doesn't look that way. Also the chromatic aberration is quite noticeable.

The image was taken in raw and converted to jpeg with no adjustments.

What are you opinions, is this normal or send it back.

7131572727_73b4a7366d_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

sigma 19 030 by Rich_00, on Flickr

Top right corner 100%
View attachment 202647
100_crop by Rich_00, on Flickr

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
The cars are moving - at 1/60th they are too fast to be in focus. I don't think the CA can be helped with a black object on a white background like that - it is only a $200 lens afterall, I wouldn't be expecting miracles! The rest of the image seems to be alright to me.

rich00

Mu-43 Veteran
The cars are moving - at 1/60th they are too fast to be in focus. I don't think the CA can be helped with a black object on a white background like that - it is only a $200 lens afterall, I wouldn't be expecting miracles! The rest of the image seems to be alright to me.
OK, I'm not concerned about the cars being in focus. If you look towards the left of the main yellow building it looks out of focus.

Maybe I'm expecting a bit much since I had been using the Oly 45 and difference is quite noticeable.

jim_khoo

Mu-43 All-Pro
i had equally bad CA experience with the 1442 II R on the E-P3. my mind
was set on streets when i bought this lens and have no expectation that
it will perform like the PL25mm or M. Zuiko 45mm.

here's one i shoot at f5 @ 1/400 ISO160 (i am quite please with it).
7120387815_8fe0cab365_c.jpg

Vertex Ninja

Mu-43 Regular
OK, I'm not concerned about the cars being in focus. If you look towards the left of the main yellow building it looks out of focus.

Maybe I'm expecting a bit much since I had been using the Oly 45 and difference is quite noticeable.

What raw converter are you using?

If it's like mine it's very sharp in the central region and adequate-good at the edges. The chromatic aberrations you see are pretty easy to correct and are on an extreme case here. Dark object against a blown out background is a pretty tough subject. I have the Oly 45mm and the 30mm Sigma and honestly they are all really good. I can't really say which of the 3 I like most. Only you can decide if you have a dud, there are way too many variables for any of us to tell you one way or the other.

rich00

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the replies.

Jim, you example at f5 looks pretty good. I don't think mine match the same sharpness.

Vertex Ninja, I've used both Olympus viewer and After Shot Pro. Is there any that you particular recommend ?

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am not seeing the out of focus area you are. I see the CA but as others have said dark on a blown out sky - CA is to be expected. I assume the shot was taken hand held? If so there might be a tiny bit of blur caused by hand movement?

rich00

Mu-43 Veteran
I am not seeing the out of focus area you are. I see the CA but as others have said dark on a blown out sky - CA is to be expected. I assume the shot was taken hand held? If so there might be a tiny bit of blur caused by hand movement?

Thanks, I think I will spend a bit more time with the lens. Maybe it's just my inexperience kicking in.

rich00

Mu-43 Veteran
Bhupinder2002 said:
YEs have some patience .Anyway where in Melbourne are u based?
Cheers
Bhupinder

Hi Bhupinder, I will keep at it. I work in the CBD and live out in the west (Point Cook).

rich00

Mu-43 Veteran
Ok, with everyone's help and in particular Vertex Ninja ( thanks again). This lens is a keeper for $200, you can't go wrong.

Here is a retake of the Flinder's street station. PP'd removed CA,added sharpening, increase contrast and changed the tone. I wasn't concerned about the composition just wanted to know how to get the most out of the lens.

6989156540_a3171f622a_c.jpg

sigma 19 ex dn by Rich_00, on Flickr

Now if they can fix that delayed startup...:wink:

jim_khoo

Mu-43 All-Pro
WoW!!! great job. that's a vast improvement.

i have have same experience with increasing the contrast with jpeg as well.

rich00

Mu-43 Veteran
WoW!!! great job. that's a vast improvement.

i have have same experience with increasing the contrast with jpeg as well.
Thanks.

I'm going through some photos and applying similar changes. I'm starting to really like this lens for what it is.

jim_khoo

Mu-43 All-Pro
i notice the color has toned down a lot. perhaps its the effect
of removal of purple cast (CA).

anyway, i look forward to see your photos in the image thread.

rich00

Mu-43 Veteran
i notice the color has toned down a lot. perhaps its the effect
of removal of purple cast (CA).

anyway, i look forward to see your photos in the image thread.

This was intentional, I've been playing with a trial version Corel After Shot Pro. Which I'm liking as the raw images are shown quite quickly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom