1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 19+60mm or Olympus 17+45mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by L0n3Gr3yW0lf, Oct 25, 2015.

1. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

L0n3Gr3yW0lf Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    After upgrading to GX7 I want to get some proper lenses too, so far I have been using Panasonic 14-42mm (sold for extra cash) which I was never happy with because of lack of sharpness and legacy lenses (Revuenon 50mm f 1.8, gave it away because it's very soft till f 4 and slow to manualy focus, Yashica ML 50mm f 2, love the lens to bits for very good sharpness and easy to focus and very contrasty and Yashica DSB 28mm f 2.8, not very sharp and issues with flaring, really bad gosting).

My budget is not very big (about 300 bucks) so I can't afford new lenses (except if I get the Sigma lenses) and I will be happy to get used ones if I can afford. I could wait, but as John Snow says: Winter is coming, and it's a long time 'till spring.

I was thinking to get the Sigma 19mm f 2.8 DN and Sigma 60mm f 2.8 DN (would go wider but that leaves a bigger gap between the focal range) or Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f 2.8 (the f 1.8 is out of my budget) and Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm f 1.8. I need a good portrait lens (not specifically for indoors) and a general purpose wide-ish prime.

I would get Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f 2.5 as I love the lens and the focal range but is to wide for portraits indoor, so I might get it as a third lens (or just go for Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 9-18mm f 4-5.6 for landscapes). The Panasonic Lumix G 20mm f 1.7 is a very lovely lens, even though a big slow to focus, but still a bit more expensive, most of the time, then the Sigma 19mm f 2.8 DN and Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f 2.8. I love the pancake format of the Panasonic primes but budget is my main concern right now.

Any thoughts, ideas, opinions you could help me with. Planning on buying next month.

On a sidenote: I wish there was a ultra wide angle prime (cheap if possible, manual focus acceptable) for Micro Four Thirds, like how Samyang 12mm f 2 lens is on the E-Mount, the only option at the moment are zooms and Samyang 7.5mm f 3.5 defished.

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Stretching the budget for a used Sigma 60 and the new Pana 25/1.7? You get a great one and a fast one (almost certainly very good).

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    A used Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm f 1.4 costs 400 bucks and above, ebay.com has it listed from 350 bucks above ... that's well above my range. I wish I could but I make only 300 $ a month and using an entire salary for lenses is as far as I can go, mostly because the bills are still low and payed for November, but not the months after that.

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Klorenzo mentioned the newly issued Panasonic 25mm f/1.7, not the PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4 ...

Anyway, if funds are low, I'd settle for a single lens, but get a real keeper. Depending on your shooting style, that'd mean a moderate wide or normal lens, and that means a used Olympus 17mm f/1.8 (though they're a bit hard to find AFAIK), a used Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, a used Olympus 25mm f/1.8 (even harder to find) or a new, though yet untested Panasonic 25mm f/1.7. All of them should be available within your budget.

But since you seem to have made up your mind to go for a two lens solution, here's what I think: The Sigma lenses are both very good, and especially the 60mm is a strong performer. The 19mm, while nice, is a bit less convincing, though - simply because there's so much competition that offers more. But if you're set on buying either the Sigma or the Olympus 17mm pancake, the Sigma is the better bargain - it's clearly superior optically and offers better performance all around, even though it's a bit bulky. So actually, you wouldn't risk a lot by just getting the Sigmas. However, the Olympus 45mm is the best lens among those you mentioned as hot contenders, even better than the already capable Sigma 60mm, it's brighter (a big plus for indoor portraiture), sharper and has superior rendering. The Sigma 60mm draws a flatter image - sometimes, that's actually desirable, but not when taking portraits ... So, Sigma 19mm and Olympus 45mm if I was in your shoes.

M.

5. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I can't find the new Panasonic Lumix G 25mm f 1.7 or 42.5mm f 1.7 in my country (Romania), so less of a chance used (most probably even on ebay) and Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm f 1.8 is almost a much as the great Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f 1.4.

The reason for 2 lenses is because as it's cold I will be mostly inside (it can get very cold and snowy here) during the winter I want something wide enough to take pictures of my 1 year niece and going out for a drink with my friends. And I really am wishing for an AF lens for dedicate portraits. I could still use the Yashica ML 50mm f 2, as I really love this lens:

P1460505. P1460592. P1460794. 38.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The P25/1.7 should be available soon but it may still takes some weeks. Price may be around 250/280 euros(???).
    There is an Amazon.de cashback offer of 75 euro (check terms) for the Oly 25/1.8, this means 264 euros plus shipping.
    The cheapest option should be a used Panasonic 20/1.7, around 180 or less with a good offer (and that means waiting a little...).

Sigma sound like the only options (160 + 147 on ebay) almost within the budget, but I think that at least a 1.x lens is good to have especially inside on dark days...

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I tend to agree with Moonmind/Matt. I would go for a single wider lens - you have the 45/50mm range covered with your Yashica, and if that portrait you posted was shot with that lens and you are comfortable with MF for that stuff, then the 45 is not going to give you much more at this time.

I am a big fan of the 17/1.8, but don't know how second hand prices are looking. The 20 is also very good, and while not as fast at focussing it is by no means as unusable to me as some people like to think.

here are links to albums on my flickr page of examples shot with

17/1.8

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/albums/72157632812231252

and 20/1.7

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/albums/72157625571589409

cheers

K

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

I tried the P14mm and the copy I had wasn't any sharper than a kit zoom. I have settled on the PanaLeica 15mm which is top notch for this system. Unfortunately it is more money than you budget. I haven't used the Sig19 but reviews are mixed which makes me think it may not be any sharper than a kit zoom – it will be brighter!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For indoor portraits, anything wider than 25mm will have noticeable distortion unless you end up with a near full body shot. I would recommend one of the 25mm's. I have 15/25/45/75 and have owned 20/60 and the 25mm is my go to lens for typical indoor portraits of friends and family. 45mm is great, but a bit too long for anything but headshots. And well, you have the 50mm manual prime anyway if you want that. f2.8 is really just not very exciting for wider angles on a 2x crop sensor. I don't think you'll be satisfied with the low light or subject isolation capabilities. I'd try for an f1.8 at least.

Why 14-42 did you have? THe one that comes with the GX7 is honestly a very sharp lens. I am surprised to hear if you had sharpness issues with that lens. To be honest, it is better than the 17mm f2.8 by quite a bit, and at least as goos as the 14mm f2.5 if not better. I think for wide angle on a budget, it's a great pick, and f3.5 is really not that much slower than f2.8. 12-32mm is another good choice for 12mm f3.5.

Here's a couple samples with my GX7 and the Olympus 25mm f1.8:

20751769036_021451a529_b. Untitled by The Wiki, on Flickr

17098769028_5abd80e8d5_b. Untitled by The Wiki, on Flickr

17099057410_0acd5e4a17_b. Untitled by The Wiki, on Flickr

10. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    Very beautiful images you have there, and a very adorable little girl too. I had the first version of 14-42mm from my old Panasonic G2 (I bought the GX-7 body) and it was very soft everywhere except the center part (possibly de-centered) at 14mm and not that impressive at 42mm end either, sometimes I found my old M42 50mm f 1.8 sharper at f 2.8 and f 4 then the 14-42mm at 42mm f 5.6.

I am thinking of getting the Panasonic Lumix G 20mm f 1.7 for the speed, size and low (-er then Olympus/Panasonic 25mm) price.

The reason I wanted an AF portrait lens is that I do miss the focus even with my, very contrasty, Yashica ML 50mm, and I did lose a lot of opportunities that I regret, and it can be frustrating at times.

The last image is a stitching of 21 images at minimum focus distance to get more details and larger field of view with more bokeh.

11. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I used to own the Sigma 19mm and now own the Panasonic 20mm. While the Sigma was sharp, it never excited me. The Panasonic just gives me that happy feeling. I think for your situation, where you need low light ability (since you'll be inside), I think it's the better choice.

My day-to-day kit is the Panasonic 20mm and Sigma 60mm. It gives me low-light ability, but also some range when I want it. I've been very happy and I know there are some others here with a similar kit.

That said, there are a lot of happy people with a lot of different lenses and I'm sure that there are other options that would be satisfying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Yes, that original 14-42 has very little to commend it.

The O17/2.8 is a strangely under-rated lens so it turns up on eBay at good prices. I think I got mine for less than a used O9 bodycap, which is silly.

I have the Sigma 60 and personally prefer it to the 45, but you would get the extra aperture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    +1. If I could only have one lens, it would be O17/1.8. I like the O45 and I carry it with me, but it is not used as much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Kowa has an 8.5mm rectilinear, but it is large and expensive.

15. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I think tkbslc makes a very good case for the 25mm; I'd just like to stress that you actually can do nice portrait shots with the 17mm at the same distance if you include some context and background. It's about which lens fits your shooting style - I tend to choose a wider lens as a general walkaround prime, the 17mm f/1.8 marking the sweet spot for me at the moment, but I also love the 20mm for its optical quality and versatility in terms of framing. I'm fine with a 50mm equivalent, too (I don't own one yet for mFT, but use this focal length/FOV on other systems).

If you buy a single lens (making use of your 50mm as a portrait lens), I'd get something that suits your way of seeing things. Sigma actually also make a longish normal lens: the 30mm. Its rendering is closely related to the 60mm, and it's great for short-range portraits. The Panasonic 20mm and Sigma 30mm and 60mm make a nice "people" trinity ... But as a duo, I'd still choose the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 and 45mm f/1.8. Very versatile, very compact, very good. But budgets are budgets ...

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thank you.

I did find the 20mm f1.7 to be a bit too slow to focus for children and a bit wide for portraits, but it really depends on how wide you like to frame. If you aren't shooting active children, the AF on the 20mm is more than acceptable. I prefer the 25mm f1.8, however.

I understand wanting to get the AF portrait lens, I'm just not sure it is worth sacrificing aperture on your wider indoor lens as I think that will need the wider aperture more often. So that's why I recommended just the one wider lens of higher quality/faster aperture.

If you can somehow fit a 20mm f1.7 and a 60mm f2.8 into the budget (used prices, maybe?) then that would be hard to beat for versatilty/cost ratio.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  17. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    The panasonic 20 1.7 and olympus 45 1.8 are probably some of the best values in the M43 system as far used lenses. Both can be had for under $200 if you scour ebay for a few days. And both are fantastic. I want the 17 1.8, but I think it's a bit overpriced given how cheap the 20mm can be had. Panasonic 14mm is also cheap (~$150), sharp, and tiny. Size means a lot to me so I think it's a great choice, but it's not as fast as some other options. I don't have either Sigma lens but I've heard great things about the 60mm. But the Olympus 45mm is faster (low light indoors).

18. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I would add another vote for the Olympus 25mm f1.8. I have only owned my micro 4/3rds setup for a few months and the 25 for even less than that, but it is the lens which is usually on my camera for the kid shots around the house. While occasionally not wide enough indoors, I find it a superb lens with fast AF and the f1.8 is really very handy.

FWIW, I bought both the 25 (excellent used, still had the blue plastic film on the body) and the O45(NIB) on ebay for just over $200 each. Patience was the key. I would imagine that more 25s might show up if people move to the new P25/1.7.

19. Dragos101

Dragos101 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Bucharest, Romania
    Dragos
    Glad to see another Romanian here :) I said it before and I'll say it again: The O25/1.8 is, IMO an absolute must have m43 prime lens. I guess you are aware that F64 is having a cashback promotion on a few Oly primes, including the 25 and 45 1.8, which brings them to very reasonable prices, I would use that opportunity if I were looking for either of them.
    Also, not sure if you know about this local buy and sell m43 board, you may be able to find some good deals if you are patient: http://www.olympus-romania.ro/infusions/classifieds/index.php?cat_id=1

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    With a limited budget I'd go 2nd hand 17 f2.8 and 60 f2.8. One good/tiny and one great lens. You can always upgrade the wide later or complement with a 25mm or something if you have the opportunity. Lot of people don't seem to understand "budget"...