1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 19&30mm or sigma 19&60mm for wedding

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by aaronlongphoto, Jul 19, 2013.

1. aaronlongphoto

aaronlongphoto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    So I am shooting a friends wedding next month and I want to get another lens to pair with my sigma 19mm and I can't decide between the 30mm or the 60mm and was wondering if any of you guys had any sugestions.

Thanks
    Aaron

dedicated photography

2. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    for a wedding I'd get a zoom. the Oly 12-60 would serve you perfectly. If you were going the prime route, I'd get all 3 Sigmas. Also, you need a good flash... a nice flash braket will make the photos come out better.

3. aaronlongphoto

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    I've already got a good flash and everything else I need. My only.concern about the 12-60 is its a little out of my price range. That's part of the reason I'm looking at the sigmas due to their value.

dedicated photography

4. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I wouldn't recommend shooting a wedding, particularly if you aren't experienced at them, with two primes. Even a kit zoom would be preferable because you can't move closer or farther away many times during a ceremony. Nothing wrong with any of the Sigma's, but some kind of zoom would be helpful in that particular case.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    If you're the primary photographer, you will need to find a way to get both. You'll also need to turn up with two bodies.

Gordon

6. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Look at renting rather than buying.. You can probably rent an extra body and a nice panny zoom. borrowed lenses I believe rent m43 gear...

7. aaronlongphoto

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    I've shot weddings before just not with m4/3 ive always preferred prime lenses over zoom lens since the beginning and I've got a extra body. I plan on adding both lenses to my kit over time I just can't decided which one will benifit me most in this situation.

dedicated photography

8. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Personally, I would do the 60mm.

That said, last wedding I shot, I desperately needed an f1.8 or faster lens, which I didn't have. Not so much for ceremony (moderately lit church), but for the reception (dimly lit reception area). Just a thought, but a 45mm f1.8 may be the better choice. Used it costs a bit more, but it is a tremendous value.

9. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    I brought my Olympus 45mm to a friend's wedding the other weekend and came away with a ton of great shots. I think having a long focal length, "portrait" lens is important at weddings, since you'll be shooting a lot of people. The Sigma 60mm fits this bill a lot better than the 30mm, but I agree with the poster above me, the Olympus 45mm is even better and not much more expensive. I was happy to have f1.8 indoors (although you say you have a flash you want to use, so it might not matter much).

I also realized how shallow the DOF can still be with a m4/3 camera. With the 45mm at f1.8, some of my group candids only one person in focus, where a second person was 6" in front or back and outside of the focal plane. Most shots like that were still keepers, but something to be aware of when lining up faces and composing.

10. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I will also recommend a 19 and the 45. :drinks:

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    +1 on the zoom suggestions.

That said, between the two and with my shooting style I would go for the 60mm. One of the things I have always done at weddings it to get as many head shots of guests as possible. I can never be sure I have everyone but the bride and groom are always happy to get nice individual shots of a large number of guests. So for that shooting style, a portrait type focal length suits. In film days, it was my Nikkor 105/2.5 that did the work. 120mm equivalent is at the long end of what I would consider. Your shooting style may well be different though.