1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 19/2.8 and 30/2.8 for mFT

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Jan 9, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  2. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Very odd focal lengths as their entry into MFT. If the prices are good, I suppose they can be more budget alternatives to other lenses.

Atleast it's a start, no doubt they will come out with something more attractive soon.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Options are good only if they are good options.

These, on the face of it, do not look appealing to me.

A 30/1.4 would have been very interesting, even a 30/2.0 if it was priced right.

I don't even know where to begin with a 19/2.8, especially with the Panny 20/1.7 on the market not to mention the Oly 17/2.8.

I am very puzzled by their choice of lenses.

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    add me to the list of "wtf is sigma thinking" group. Unless these are absolutely dirt cheap, but even then, I'm not sure they have much appeal w/ the odd focal lengths.

though, it could possibly just be an exercise in their AF system? They seemed to have an open window to attack fast zooms... and blew it. Or maybe these are really just adapted e-mount versions? 19 and 30 make more sense on that system than m43.

5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thinking about it, seems likely that these designs will be released for NEX as well. Since NEX is badly in need of some compact prime lenses, and these lenses give a 28mm and a 45mm EFL on APS-C, I'd bet Sigma is following the same approach to m4/3 as it did with regular 4/3 - design for the largest sensor, then swap out the mount for everybody else.

DH

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    On APS cameras these will have equivalent field of view of 28/2.8 and 60/2.8 macro. If you're interested in Sigma lenses get used to this. Mirrorles system lenses will be designed for APS and we'll get some of them on m4/3.

Fred

7. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Dumb. They will not sell more than a handful of these unless they are $100 or so. M4/3 has wide and short telephoto covered very well. Why not release where there are still gaps? Fast telephoto primes (even moderately fast, like a 100mm f/2 or f/2.8 or a 150mm f/2.8) and a fast standard zoom would be great. Would be awesome to see a native m4/3 mount of their already produced 50-150 f/2.8.

8. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    My head hurts trying to figure out why anyone would pick up a slower 19mm lens. If the price is right the 30mm f2.8 has a slot to fill though.

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    /facepalm

Does not bode well for future MFT lenses from them.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Problem is size. I know somebody would be interested, but based on the 1st generation 50-150/2.8 design (the 2nd generation is even larger), you've still got a lens that's larger than the largest m4/3 lens by a fair margin (the 100-300) and weighs a bunch more too.

Considering that faster longer lenses are used mostly for action and m4/3 and NEX C-AF are rather poor, I don't think it's such an obvious choice for them.

DH

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The 19mm lens, if it is optically superior to the Olympus 17mm and Panasonic 20mm, makes sense. The 17mm has relatively joke performance for a prime, and the 20mm isn't all that if you're about edge-to-edge performance. Keeping the aperture "small" at f/2.8 means that it is easier for them to make the lens perform well. I'd rather have a lens that is only f/2.8 and performs amazing throughout the range, than a lens that opens up to f/1.8 or faster and has questionable border quality and vignetting. Every optical design has tradeoffs.

LensRentals.com - Lens Genealogy Part 1
    LensRentals.com - Lens Genealogy – Part 2

• Like Like x 2
  12. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Good points here, that makes sense to me.

13. yohan

yohan Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 24, 2011
    Not sure if the 19 will be a success unless 1) it's significantly sharper, 2) roughly as compact, 3) cheaper.

With m4/3 sensor size, I'd like to see more fast primes in the f1.4 to f1.8 range. I won't always shoot wide open. But I'd like to have the option of shallow DOF even if it meant soft corners.

3rd party companies producing lenses for m4/3? Great news.

14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    My view exactly. If the 19mm is optically better than the 17mm and faster focusing than the 20mm and not too expensive, I'm really interested. Even at f2.8 it's still a whole stop faster than the kit zoom at the same focal length and much more compact. A pancake design would have been even nicer, but that would involve an optical trade-off. The proof will be in the pudding, but this promises to be a fine lens.

Regarding the other lens, 30mm is not a focal length I use enough to justify having it as a prime, but I'm sure there are others who will.

15. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Those lenses wouldn't just have soft corners at large apertures; they'd be compromised stopped down as well. m4/3 lenses are small enough, if the optical quality isn't there, then count me out. Who wants small depth of field and thinks to themselves, "I should use a 19mm lens?" From the picture, it appears that it gives up the pancake compactness to have better performance; think of the Panasonic 25mm or Olympus 45mm, but with a wide angle focal length and moderate aperture. As I said in another post, at a certain point the camera ceases to be pocketable anyway, so why not give up an insignificant size increase for more usefulness?

• Like Like x 1
  16. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The Panasonic pancake lenses require software correction of distortion. I'm guessing that these Lenses are optically corrected because they're designed for multiple systems. Similarly the Panasonic Leica 24/1.4 is optically corrected because Leica won't let their name go on a lens that doesn't meet their standards.

17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I was scratching my head when I saw the specs of these two new lenses from Signma. If they want to use these lenses to test market reception, I believe they will fail miserably, for the M4/3 system at least. Hope they come up with more interesting options in the future...

18. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    These lenses by Sigma look like crap and an insult to the m43 system. Sigma had an opportunity to make something really cool and carve a niche into a system with a strong following but they blew it.

19. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like the idea of the 30mm especially if it is also macro. Faster would have been nice but if the lens is not too expensive I will get one. The 19mm on the other hand seems like a stupid idea. 1mm smaller than the 20mm Panny??? And it's slower too. If they sell it at $100 I still wouldn't get one. However it is good to see they have finally brought something out.

20. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    To Sigma the opportunity is a new emerging market of mirrorless camera systems. M4/3 will be just one part of the market. These lenses make sense in a market dominated by slow kit zooms on APS sized cameras. M4/3 just happens to be the the first mount others will follow.

Fred