Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 (Canon mount) - how to use on GH4 for video

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Menschik, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Menschik

Menschik New to Mu-43

Jun 25, 2014
    Hi all,

Thanks for being so helpful! I already received some great advice! I am currently using my trusty Canon 70D with Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, which I absolutely love! I wanted to ask about how you can use the Sigma lens on the GH4? I need advice about some sort of a converter/adapter.

I am aware of the fact that I will probably loose control over the aperture, but that is really not a problem for me, mainly because a shoot whide open, and I will need to change it, I can always change it on the Canon.

Any advice would be highly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!

2. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

If you don't mind shooting wide open, search eBay or Amazon for any cheap Canon EOS->m4/3 adapter. Some common manufacturers are Kipon, Rainbowimaging, and fotasy. Other alternatives are the HolyManta Vari-ND adapter that actually puts a variable ND filter behind the lens with supposedly great results. There is also the RedRock Micro LiveLens that allows you to control the aperture on Canon lenses but it runs about $500 new. Similarly, Metabones has released a new Canon EOS to m4/3 "speedbooster" (focal reducer) that has active aperture control; runs over $600.

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The current release of the metabones adapter only works on the BMPCC, it should give a lens error if you connect it on the GH4 and lock the camera til you remove it. If you activate the shutter with it attached the shutter will be destroyed because the optics extend close enough to the sensor to physically block the shutters path. (Not an issue on the BMPCC which doesn't have a physical shutter.)

Thus, not really an option at this point in time - wait for the release of the correct version.