1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 18-35 vs PL 15 & PL 25

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by JDK504, Sep 29, 2016.

1. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I'm thinking of selling my PL 15 and PL 25 for the Sigma 18-35 Canon mount with speedbooster making that lens a 1.1/1.2 12-25ish zoom.

I know the Sigma is heavy, but I get tired of switching out my lenses.

Also note I have the Nocticron so I am using that for the long end and I am used to using
    a heavier lens. Although the Sigma is almost twice the weight of it. I'm a big video guy and am currently using the EM5 II for now, but will probably upgrade to either GH4 or 5.

Anyone have opinions on this or did something similar? Am I wasting time and money thinking about doing this? Am I paying too much to switch out for conveinence and not really gaining much in return?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    There's another thread about it here. Lots of people seem to love it, especially videographers.

The image quality seems to really be impeccable, the Speedbooster only enhances the already superb resolution. And it's a real, usable f1.2 aperture. So yeah, I think you'd be gaining a lot. No image stabilization though, and I am not sure I would rely on the autofocus - it gets very mixed reviews even on native DSLR bodies, let alone on adapted CDAF-only bodies. But if you are happy to manually focus it, the results can be very good.

But it is certainly a huge, heavy lens. 811g + 170g for the Speedbooster is 980g. It is very much like using a 24-70/f2.8 on a FF body. A kit like that is even more awkward than my 6x7 medium format rangefinder...

3. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Thank you for replying. I actually kick started that thread up again and had great replies. Those that responded as well as reviews online said with the Canon Ef mount speed booster we get AF.
    They said the AF was close to native m43 lenses. I was just curious if the face detection/nearest eye detection worked as well. I was under the impression that the EM5 II would stabilize this lens?

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Sorry, I meant in-lens image stabilization, since you had also mentioned the GH4. Yes, the E-M5 II would stabilize it.

Honestly, I would be shocked if autofocus was anywhere near as good as native. That would be extremely surprising, and out of keeping with everything that I have read about adapted Canon AF lenses, even the good ones. And the Sigmas are always less consistent performers than the Canon options.

I would just say go into it expecting to use it mostly as a manual focus lens. Consider the autofocus performance you do get to be icing on the cake. If you can't bear that prospect, I would say the 18-35 is not a good option.

Maybe those with more experience can prove me wrong, though!

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Since you mentioned AF and video, keep in mind that most DSLR lenses do not have silent stepper motors, so you will not want to try to AF during video recording. You will get hunting and very audible focus noises.

Just for size reference, using a Canon M5 as a stand-in for an E-M5: Compact Camera Meter

Personally, I think a better solution to avoid lens swapping is to use two cameras.

ETA:

But, to keep things in perspective, the closest "equivalent" solution for a fast standard 4K video rig would be a Sony FF with a 24-70 f2.8 and that's pretty much the same size:

Compact Camera Meter

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  6. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Thank you. I just meant AF for taking stills. I would be using MF 100% for video. I can MF both for still and video, but its hard for the wifey ;)

7. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Thank you. sorry i should have clarified that I was asking about AF for taking stills and not video. I will use MF 100% for video.

8. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Might it be both cheaper and lighter to buy a second camera to avoid swapping lenses? GM5+15mm would be 326 grams total: http://j.mp/2cZHZ03

9. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    True, but I like the idea of having one lens and I love the look that the Sigma gives off compared to the PL 15 at 1.7. The PL 25 at 1.4 would be comparable with the Sigma at its widest at 1.1/1.2

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Why dont you keep the PL25 around for general photography? And use the Sigma for video work? I can't imagine dragging that lens around for out and about shooting. But that's just me.

11. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I thought about that too bc I really love the pl25. It's like a baby Nocticron, which I see you recently added, nice shots btw.

At this point I mainly just use my pl15 and Nocticron. The pl 25 just sits there. My main subjects are my kids. That is where the zoom will come in handy vs switching out lenses.

I guess there is a trade off to be had somewhere.

Again it's the look the sigma gives that really had me leaning towards it vs what I have.