Sigma 150 f2.8 macro on EM-1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by evilnim, Apr 12, 2015.

1. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Hi all

Anyone got any real world experience of using the Sigma 150mm macro for four thirds on an EM-1? Am enjoying an old OM mount Olympus 50mm f3.5 macro at the moment, but am not clicking with a Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro I picked up.

What's the AF like on the Sigma with EM-1s PDAF? Useless or reasonable?

I appreciate that much macro work is manual, but I have found AF useful occasionally, hence the interest.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is very good (or quite reasonable) on the E-M1 actually (for a macro lens).

Here's one sample

M3153118-s.

And another

M3111769-s.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  3. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Nice shots, particularly like the spider one. What was your working distance there? AF or MF?

Got an option to pick a used lens up for about £100 less than the Oly 60 - seriously considering it.

4. Ross the fiddler

I would not muck around & seriously consider that Sigma lens if it is in good condition (no mould etc). The closest working distance is about 20cm which is what I would have been trying for with that spider shot. If you PM me with your email address I can send you some past reviews etc on that lens.

5. Ross the fiddler

The Sigma 150mm macro lens being a macro lens is not fast focussing like the Pro 40-150 would be (as would also be known if familiar with the 60mm macro lens), however after I originally used the Sigma 150 on an E30 DSLR I was frustrated trying to use it with AF on the E-M5 with CD-AF as it just wasn't usable with it mostly missing AF on the last action in AF & could only be used with MF, but it really came back to life on the E-M1 with it using PD-AF (as it does with all 4/3’s lenses). It is an HSM (HyperSonic Motor drive) with a constant MF ability as the Olympus SWD (Supersonic Wave Drive) lenses are. It generally finds focus faster in telephoto use, but with a macro lens it has to use a fine focussing drive system & it may tend to muck around as it steps back & forth a little if handheld or if there is movement of the subject (or in my case with me just not being able to be still enough) so you could have some frustrating moments trying to get focus but you do have that immediate MF ability (the focus ring doesn't move with AF) with the clutch type drive that it uses (as the Olympus SWD lenses do too) to get it back to being close to focus. I tend to use either macro lens (Olympus 60mm or Sigma 150) when wanting maximum magnification by setting the lens to 1:1 magnification & moving in until the subject is in focus & then backing away slightly to allow the AF to be able lock on as I press the shutter button all the way, in the hope that it locks on quickly with it firing as focus is achieved. Macro shooting can be somewhat frustrating but the rewards come when that special shot is achieved.

Other considerations:
    The weight of it (920g) can become tiring if holding it in awkward positions for any length of time.

It is internal focussing so it has a fixed external length which makes any attachments more usable for close macro work.

I hope you enjoy using it as I do mine.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Ross

Outrageously helpful info for me there - thanks so much.

Now if only this guy would reply to my query about the lens, I might just be able to buy it...!

7. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    buy i,t it work excelente on E-M1, you can use it as an fast prime for telephoto ( 150 2.8 ) and ofc as macro and you will get distance you will need ( and you will not need to get too close and thus frighten an animal that you photograph )

• Like Like x 1
  8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Lens is tough to find...I've been looking on and off for the last year to no avail...there's plenty of the 105's available...If you can get it at that price and it is spotless, go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks everyone.

I'll be honest - I'm convinced to buy it, I just need the seller to respond! It's been 48hrs! A bit dodge perhaps...

10. Ross the fiddler

Be careful it isn't a non-existent lens for sale. There are too many scum scammers out there trying to rip you off where ever they can.

11. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Think I'm going to have to give it a miss sadly - the seller hasn't responded to any of my messages.

I'll bide my time though - am keen on this lens.

12. Ross the fiddler

I hope you find one OK, but don't get stung with a bad (or fake) seller.
    Don't expect miracles from this lens. For example, I was trying to get focus under indoor lighting (warm white fluro) with the lens plus EX25 extension tube on the E-M1 & it just couldn't lock on because of the lack of detail (& not very bright lighting) & I had to use MF instead. Here is the photo anyhow (using E-M1, MMF3, EX25 & Sigma 150 macro lens with FL50R Auto TTL bounced flash off white ceiling @ ISO 800 f13).

M4145868-s.

13. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks Ross - my default jaded and cynical stance is to expect no miracles from anything, especially cameras in my own hands.

I'd be pretty pleased with that shot. Handheld?

14. Ross the fiddler

I was leaning on the bench for this, supporting the lens with my arm to control the position & steadiness of the camera & the flash did the rest.

15. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Very cool. So I've held off in that sale - felt not quite right. If anyone wants to offload their sigma, drop me a message!

16. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Update for those interested - absolutely love the lens so far. Yes it's big, but no bigger than the 40-150 pro. Yes, it's obviously slower to focus than the 60mm, but gives you about 8-9 inches more working distance from end of lens when nearing 1:1 macro. Not to be sniffed at with bugs or flies. And it's sharp! Have uploaded some of my first reasonable shots to the image thread. Cropped, but the ant ones only a little, and the fly one more heavily. By no means perfect, but a start!

• Useful Useful x 1