1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sigma 14mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by micah_kraus, Jan 15, 2012.

1. micah_kraus

micah_kraus Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Micah Kraus
    I'm looking for an affordable ultra wide angle lens for my gf1. From what I've read about the Sigma 14mm it sounds like a great lens.
    Question is, will it work well with my gf1?
    Any experience with this lens? Insights to offer?

2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Why not the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 if you want 14mm? You get AF as well.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    14mm is not ultra-wide on m4/3. It gives the same 'wideness' as a 28mm lens did on a 135 format film camera.

Ultrawides on m4/3 are the Panasonic 7-14/4 and the Olympus 9-18/4-5.6 and perhaps the 12/2.

Another option would be an add-on lens like the new one Panasonic just announced, that turns a 14mm lens into an 11mm one. Quality isn't as good, but for $100, it's a great way to ease in. You'd need to have the 14/2.5 already though.

DH

4. micah_kraus

micah_kraus Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Micah Kraus
    help me understand this better...my 20mm Pano lens is like a 40mm lens on a non-m43 camera, right?
    would that mean that a 14mm non-m43 lens would be like a 7mm m43 lens?
    does that still translate when you adapt a legacy lens to an m43 camera?

the 14mm I'm looking at was originally designed for a film camera so I thought it would operate as something more like a 7mm on my gf1.
    not true?

thanks in advance.

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    You have it half right. Yes the 20mm (m43) has the field of view of a 40mm lens in 35mm equivalent. It doubles.

The 14mm (m43) also doubles (just like every lens!) to act like a 28mm equivalent.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Micah, the focal length of a lens doesn't change depending on what camera you mount it to. So your 20mm lens is a 20mm lens, and a 14mm FF lens is still a 14mm lens.

What changes is the effective angle-of-view. Because the sensor on an m43 camera is 1/2 the size of the sensor on a FF camera, the camera "sees" a smaller area. It's the same as if you cropped a small portion out of the center of a picture taken with a full frame sensor. You see only the central part of the subject, just as if you had put a telephoto lens on the camera.

So no matter what lens you use, or what format it was designed for, its angle of view will be half that of the same lens on a FF camera. The effect is essentially the same as if you doubled the focal length. So an m43 camera with a 14mm lens will see half the angle of view as that lens on a FF camera. The same angle of view as a 28mm lens on that camera.

I hope this makes sense.

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Yes 20mm on m4/3 has a similar field of view as 40mm on "full frame" 35mm film camera. You've got it backwards for the 14mm. A 14mm lens on m4/3 will have a similar field of view as 28mm on "full frame".

Fred

8. micah_kraus

micah_kraus Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Micah Kraus
    Thanks everyone for setting me straight. Makes sense now.
    As a budget conscious photog I'm gonna have to start saving for a nifty 9-18mm. That's all there is to it.