Sigh. I knew selling my GX1 was a mistake...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jloden, Apr 5, 2013.

1. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Well, it finally happened. I think I've discovered the one camera I regret having sold and am going to end up re-buying: the GX1. :rolleyes:

I sold my copy to a friend when I got the GH3, and figured I'd eventually replace it with an EM-5. Well, I did, and to my surprise the Olympus and I just didn't get along. Now I'm left missing my old faithful GX1. It doesn't hurt that going back through some of my favorite photos the majority of them were shot on the GX1, too.

So... anyone want to trade an OM-D for a GX1 + cash? :tongue:
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    What do you think the issue is for you? Is it the size?

I've got an EPL5, but I have gotten so used to my 6D, that the EPL5 suddenly feels small, and I'm thinking of moving up to an OMD...
  3. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I assume you mean for the OM-D EM-5? It wasn't any one thing, more of a combo of things... ergonomics (even with the add-on grip) were just plain uncomfortable for me, not a fan of the menus & UI, EVF/LCD styling, and the plasticky controls. There's a lot to like in the EM-5, but I didn't get in the groove with it like other cameras.

The GX1 I had served me really well, produced a lot of favorite images, and will pair really nicely with my existing m4/3 primes for a tiny portable kit. About the only thing I dislike is having to use a hotshoe EVF instead of built-in.
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    What do you want for the E-PL5? :wink:
  5. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    It's funny how sometimes a camera just...suits us. Nothing logical about it, but objectively better isn't always...better. :)
    I'm going through this now with my GF1. Recently bought a G3 and for whatever reason I'm just not bonding with it. Thought I'd like the grip and the built in EVF and the articulated screen and the newer sensor, and I do, kind of. But the GF1 is like an old friend, I just mesh with it without having to think about it. I clicked with it right away, even coming from Canon DSLRs. As much as I want to love it, the G3 seems foreign, and I don't know why.

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia

....don't regret, just re-get !

7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Believe it or not, I've been considering picking up a GF1 as another option. I would lose some high ISO performance and resolution, but I have seen a lot of truly great images on the GF1, it seems to have a little mojo in that older 12MP sensor :thumbup:

The main thing holding me back is the viewfinder, if I go back to an LVF1 I suspect I'll be disappointed in the EVF.

8. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Yeah, it's definitely a step back from the newer EVFs. I'm going to keep at it with the G3, hoping things improve, but I'm absolutely not selling the GF1, which was my original plan.
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    GX1 seems to be a bit of an underdog....That being said, I quite like the package :smile:
  10. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Gf6 is in the works with wifi being the new GAS bait, I would say wait just a bit because I smell a GX2 coming.
  11. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm sorry the EM-5 isn't for you, but I'm happy to hear you like the GX1 enough to buy a replacement. Now is as great time to buy a new one with prices as low as they are.

Though it may not have the latest & best sensor these days, it's good enough for now. The GX1 fits me and my style, enough that I've purchased a few and built my m4/3 system around this body after also trying the G3 & G5. Biggest GX1 negative for me is flash photography, but I'm not a big user of flash.

Curious if you still have and like the GH3 and if so, how the GH3 works with a GX1? When it's time for a newer body I've been thinking a GH3 might be the right addition to my system, when they cost about half their current price (or less) and I find the GX1 lacking something I need.
  12. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    My other m4/3 body is a GH3 so I have wifi on it if needed. I have my doubts a GX2 will be out any time before late this year if at all, and even if so the price at release will likely be 3-4 times what a GX1 goes for. The only "killer feature" the GX2 could have that'd force me to upgrade is a built-in EVF with the same/similar form factor, but I suspect that may not materialize either.

Yep, still have the GH3 as my main body. For me the GH3 wins out on every feature except size (and price). Better battery life, ergonomics, performance, weather-sealing & build, manual controls, etc. I miss the GX2 mostly for being able to toss it in a jacket pocket with a couple small primes, particularly the 12/17/45 Oly trio.
  13. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The GX1 has also become my "favorite" - there's something about it ... something somewhat hard to explain about the camera, the raising, the shooting, and the subsequent enjoyment of the shot ... man - I got mine on Amazon "Like New" for $219 some months ago and for that money it's nearly a joke! Replace her, get back on board!!!!!
  14. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    How much cash? I have a GX-1 w/ the LVF2.
  15. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I have been comparing O-md or xe-1 for a replacement, but thinking long and hard, dont think I can let the GX1 go, If it wasn't for the vf1 viewfinder I would still be happy with the GF1
  16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Jay, i can see where you are coming from, especially when you have been handling the GH3, the size of the GX1 can be a more convincing factor. I'm keeping mine in preparation hopefully for a GH3 somewhere in the near future. Consider also the G5 or G3. My G3 is really so compact that it is very near to the GX1.
  17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys ..
    I agree that GX1 is an exellent camera, well made and very responsive but I was quite disappointed with its video performance and OMD's IBIS comes quite handy while shooting at lower shutter speeds. Anyway GX1 really nice . I will gladly buy GX2 if Panny updates the sensor .
  18. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    My ad for the OM-D is n the buy & sell, take a look & shoot me a PM with any questions and/or make a reasonable offer :thumbup:
  19. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    As noted you may want to wait until Panasonic has their announcements this month as Redalien stated.

1. One of the new cameras may be more interesting.
    2. More GX1s may enter the used market.
  20. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    I've never done well with the Olys: Menu system, AF, etc. FWIW: Amazon is selling GX1 now for $275 (body only). I use one as my carry-on system, since I can stash the pieces in the nook & crannies of my small carryon bag.